Oct 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Freese and general manager John Mozeliak expressed optimism that the injury isn’t a major one, but will the Cardinals want to play with a 24-man roster for the remainder of the NLCS? They could replace Freese on the roster, but doing so would make him ineligible for the World Series.
Obviously any team would rather play with a 24-man roster for 3-4 games than play a World Series without a key regular, but even if Freese’s injury were a standard two-week, disabled list-stint variety he’d miss most of the World Series anyway. At the very least Daniel Descalso seems likely to be in the lineup at third base against the Dodgers tonight.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 82
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)