Oct 15, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Freese and general manager John Mozeliak expressed optimism that the injury isn’t a major one, but will the Cardinals want to play with a 24-man roster for the remainder of the NLCS? They could replace Freese on the roster, but doing so would make him ineligible for the World Series.
Obviously any team would rather play with a 24-man roster for 3-4 games than play a World Series without a key regular, but even if Freese’s injury were a standard two-week, disabled list-stint variety he’d miss most of the World Series anyway. At the very least Daniel Descalso seems likely to be in the lineup at third base against the Dodgers tonight.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)