Dodgers stay alive with NLCS Game 5 win over Cardinals

Oct 16, 2013, 7:21 PM EDT

zack greinke getty Getty Images

The NLCS is headed back to Busch Stadium.

Zack Greinke found trouble early but settled in late as the Dodgers rolled to a 6-4 defeat of the visiting Cardinals in Game 5 of the NL Championship Series on Wednesday afternoon in Los Angeles. Greinke loaded the bases with no outs in the top of the first inning before making a great escape and gave up two runs in the top of the third. But that’s all the damage the Cardinals could muster, with Greinke finishing his seven solid overall frames by retiring 13 straight.

Adrian Gonzalez and Carl Crawford both hit solo blasts to deep right field off Cardinals starter Joe Kelly, who had a good outing in Game 1 of the NLCS but looked much more hittable Wednesday in Game 5. Gonzalez then added a second homer off Cards reliever John Axford in the bottom of the eighth inning. A.J. Ellis also went deep, slugging a solo shot off Edward Mujica in the bottom of the seventh.

Los Angeles hadn’t homered in this NL Championship Series before Wednesday’s big power outburst.

Dodgers setup man Brian Wilson pitched a clean eighth inning and Kenley Jansen closed the victory out despite a shaky ninth inning that saw the Cardinals score two of their four total runs in the game.

Game 6 of the NLCS will be on Friday night — 8:30 p.m. ET — back in St. Louis. Clayton Kershaw will start for the Dodgers and Michael Wacha will be on the hill for the Cardinals in a rematch of NLCS Game 2.

The Cardinals hold a 3-2 lead over Los Angeles in the best-of-seven Championship Series.

1. chill1184 - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:22 PM

For Dodgers fans

• proudlycanadian - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for the link.

2. gibbyfan - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Is Shelby Miller injured or in Mike’s doghouse or what?

• tridecagon - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I think he’s just the odd man out – Matheny wants to save him in case a pitcher really implodes early or a game goes really long. But, the second one has already happened, and no Shelby – and with Wacha and Wainwright starting the next two games, I think the odds of the first are pretty slim in the short term.

Good question.

3. jarathen - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Kozma played his little heart out, keeping that rally going with a single. Could’ve homered, but you know how that goes. Then it’s a tie game, sure, but the rally is over, and you don’t want that.

• jarathen - Oct 17, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I know it was a bad joke, but it WAS a joke. Sarcasm.

4. ditchparrot19 - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:28 PM

A little deja vu starting to set in for you Cards fans yet?

• spudchukar - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM

It is worrisome, but dude if your moniker is suggesting you are a Pirate fan, you must be nuts to make be flipping bird guano.

• ditchparrot19 - Oct 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

No such suggestion here. I do like the Pirates, but a “ditch parrot” is a simply slang term for a rooster pheasant, which my dogs and I love to hunt starting about this time every year.

What’s a “spudchukar?” I’ve done a fair bit of chukar hunting, too, including some in Idaho, but I never found them in the potato fields.

Also, I couldn’t make any sense of the last part of your sentence, particularly the “make be flipping” part.

5. Mike Wanhatalo - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ditch- Certainly not over but the big difference this year is instead of going on the road for games 6 & 7, the Birdos are going home. With Waino on the mound for a possible game 7 I still feel pretty good.

6. happytwinsfan - Oct 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

the series will go at least 6 and there’s about a 50- 50 chance it goes 7. all partisan rooting aside, that’s good.

7. crusty14 - Oct 16, 2013 at 8:21 PM

That’s a brilliant prediction that the series will go at least six! No shit!

• happytwinsfan - Oct 16, 2013 at 9:12 PM

crusty you are

• notsofast10 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I am going to throw my hat in and predict the series will at least go 6 games as well!

8. gibbyfan - Oct 16, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Cards flat out got beat today –that first inning flop was big, but also I thought Kelly should have gotten the hook a little earlier and shelby brought in……and the very last guy I thought I’d see was mujica………..yea, I’m fetting a little of that ‘here we go again’ feeling–especially with the best pitcher in baseball going tomorrow

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Yep…Cardinals flat out go beat game #5. Are you reading Dodgers fans? You guys beat us. We didn’t choke. Our bats weren’t the excuse. Injuries weren’t the excuse. Bad defense wasn’t the excuse. You guys played better baseball and therefore deserved to win. See how that works?

9. kastout11 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I think this series is going 7. I do not see Wacha beating Kershaw again. I see a dominant Kershaw in game 6, but I also see Wainright winning game 7.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS