Hanley Ramirez plans to be in the Game 5 lineup

Oct 16, 2013, 9:45 AM EST

NLCS - St Louis Cardinals v Los Angeles Dodgers Getty Images

At this point you have to figure it’s all hands on deck for the Dodgers, even with Hanley Ramirez suffering noticeably from a broken rib.  He says he’ll be in the lineup today however. Specifically: “Tomorrow, I’m going to come back, and I expect to see my name in the lineup,” he told MLB.com.

We’ll see. He looked to be in serious pain every time he swung the bat last night. Maybe adrenaline got him through Monday, but that tank was on “E” on Tuesday.

The Dodgers say it will be a game time decision.

1. cur68 - Oct 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I’ve broken a rib. Did it falling off a bike. It hurt to even breathe. Loafed around whimpering for about 2 weeks (I was 14, I think). How Hanley Ramirez played professional baseball on Monday & Tuesday is a mystery. But anyone who questions his ‘grit’ and ‘heart’ is talking out their ‘ass’.

Now, can we all just agree? This kid is a gamer.

2. wonkypenguin - Oct 16, 2013 at 9:55 AM

If he does play, would it be good to bat him lower in the lineup? Maybe flip him and He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named? I’ve had a broken rib, too. I sneezed shortly after and honestly thought the world was ending so I have no idea how he’s doing what he’s doing.

• wonkypenguin - Oct 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM

As an additional benefit, the more Puig bats we get, the more outrage the columnists express and the more we all win.

3. Innocent Bystander - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

My least favorite thing about elimination games: EVERYONE loves using the phrase “all hands on deck”. I need an Olbermann opening monologue about this phenomenon.

• dan1111 - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Honestly, I have never noticed this. But now, I am sure I will, and it will annoy me each time. Thanks a lot!

4. moogro - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Puig before Gonzalez would be more difficult for the pitcher.

• cur68 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Agree.

5. ctony1216 - Oct 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Good to see Hanley in the lineup. But I hope someone reminds him to button his shirt. He keeps forgetting.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4952)
  2. M. Kemp (3489)
  3. J. Kang (2620)
  4. J. Upton (2597)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2581)
  1. C. McGehee (2552)