Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
Jesse Crain didn’t recover from shoulder problems soon enough to throw a pitch for Tampa Bay, but because he was on the disabled list at the time of the trade and the Rays knew the risks involved in acquiring him from the White Sox they still had to send a pair of players to be named later to Chicago.
Today is the later and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the White Sox are getting left-hander Sean Bierman and infielder Ben Kline, neither of whom are considered legit prospects.
And now Crain will hit the open market as a free agent coming off his first All-Star season but with tons of health question marks sure to make landing a multi-year deal at age 31 more difficult.
(By the way, that picture of Crain throwing while wearing a Rays uniform? Simulated game.)
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)