Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Jesse Crain didn’t recover from shoulder problems soon enough to throw a pitch for Tampa Bay, but because he was on the disabled list at the time of the trade and the Rays knew the risks involved in acquiring him from the White Sox they still had to send a pair of players to be named later to Chicago.
Today is the later and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the White Sox are getting left-hander Sean Bierman and infielder Ben Kline, neither of whom are considered legit prospects.
And now Crain will hit the open market as a free agent coming off his first All-Star season but with tons of health question marks sure to make landing a multi-year deal at age 31 more difficult.
(By the way, that picture of Crain throwing while wearing a Rays uniform? Simulated game.)
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 162
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (162)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)