Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
Jesse Crain didn’t recover from shoulder problems soon enough to throw a pitch for Tampa Bay, but because he was on the disabled list at the time of the trade and the Rays knew the risks involved in acquiring him from the White Sox they still had to send a pair of players to be named later to Chicago.
Today is the later and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the White Sox are getting left-hander Sean Bierman and infielder Ben Kline, neither of whom are considered legit prospects.
And now Crain will hit the open market as a free agent coming off his first All-Star season but with tons of health question marks sure to make landing a multi-year deal at age 31 more difficult.
(By the way, that picture of Crain throwing while wearing a Rays uniform? Simulated game.)
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)