Oct 16, 2013, 12:55 PM EST
Jesse Crain didn’t recover from shoulder problems soon enough to throw a pitch for Tampa Bay, but because he was on the disabled list at the time of the trade and the Rays knew the risks involved in acquiring him from the White Sox they still had to send a pair of players to be named later to Chicago.
Today is the later and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the White Sox are getting left-hander Sean Bierman and infielder Ben Kline, neither of whom are considered legit prospects.
And now Crain will hit the open market as a free agent coming off his first All-Star season but with tons of health question marks sure to make landing a multi-year deal at age 31 more difficult.
(By the way, that picture of Crain throwing while wearing a Rays uniform? Simulated game.)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)