The Aaron Boone game happened ten years ago today

Oct 16, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Fact: Aaron Boone and Bucky Dent have the same middle name, and it was given to each of them for the same reason! A back-breaking home run against the Red Sox:

You know the background: Boone hit a walk-off home run in the 11th inning, off of Tim Wakefield during Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS. It gave the Yankees a 6–5 victory over Sox. and sent them to the World Series.

Granted, what happened in the playoffs a year later for Boston made sure that the Boone homer didn’t linger and sting as long as the Bucky Dent homer, but there are many who still wince a bit when you mention it.

1. number42is1 - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

which means 10 years ago tonight my new wife almost killed me for waking her by jumping up and down on the bed and yelling at the top of my lungs…. good times.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM

And I cried tears of sadness. Bad times.

• number42is1 - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

well you more than made up for it a yr later… I will never forget walking out of the sports bar i was in after game 4 ALCS 2004 and saying to my Bro-in-Law ” I got a really bad feeling”

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Haha, yah. Just one of those things where at that time I thought that that was our best shot to finally take down the Yanks. So freaking bummed.

2. Liam - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Watching it today on youtube, obviously a great memory as a Yankee fan, but it’s a great game from a neutral perspective too. Only game of my lifetime that compares is 2011 Game 6.

A little disappointed that MLB didn’t leave the original broadcast intact when they put the video on youtube. I’d happily sit through the four thousand “HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY” commercials they ran that night on FOX.

3. hushbrother - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Actually, I would say with almost 100 percent confidence that there’s not a Red Sox fan on earth who’s still broken up about that game.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Seriously. That was just pure heartbreak that seemed to sum up what being a Sox fan was like. So close but so far.

4. skeleteeth - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I remember the silence of Back Bay that night minus the occasioned screams of obscenities somewhere a few blocks off every couple minutes and an absolutely silent train ride home in a full car.

5. aceshigh11 - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I went to bed before the walk off…I knew it was over as soon as the game was tied.

I think I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t resist getting up to check the final score…I wasn’t surprised.

6. jm91rs - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Playoff baseball is the best!

7. tfbuckfutter - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Ah. You mean the Grady fucking Little game.

The Yankees losing that World Series immediately took away some of the sting..

• 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I agree with … oh, my. Look who I agree with! Grady Little lost this game, not Tim Wakefield and not Pedro Martinez. Grady Little: how often does the manager of a team that went to an LSC never get another job?

I was watching that game with my soon-to-be fiancee (and now wife) who was not and is not much of a baseball fan. (I’ve really forced it on her. She an amazing person. But I digress.) It was so obvious that Pedro was done that even SHE didn’t understand why Pedro wasn’t being taken out of the game after the 7th. I sat in silence, seething at the TV. The outcome felt inevitable.

The Red Sox had a full bullpen. Without looking it up, the answer — after retiring Alfonzo Soriano to end the seventh — was Timlin in the 8th, Williamson in the 9th.

• zzalapski - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Grady Little managed the Dodgers in 2006 (NL Wild Card) and 2007.

• 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Wait … what? Really? Man, I really don’t follow the NL at all. I keep getting reminded of this fact again and again.

Withdrawn. He was still an awful manager.

8. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Dammit you had to bring that up! Now excuse me.. I have to go watch 4 days in October.

9. cabrera24 - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I remember watching that game . Then next year Yankees were up 3-0 in the ALCS to Boston and Boston went on to win 4 straight . Hahahahah !

10. go4two - Oct 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Moron

11. rjostewart - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM

SSS and all, but I’ve never heard a Red Sox fan curse Boone or anyone involved in this game other than Grady Little. It will eternally be on his head.

12. 8man - Oct 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Bucky Dent in 1978. Bruins too many men on the ice in 1979. Bears 46 Patriots 10 in 1986. 18 and doh! Kendrick Perkins blows out his knee in 2010 NBA Finals Game 6 followed by Celts blowing 13 point lead in game 7 against the Lakers. 2013 Stanley Cup Finals game 6.

These are just a few of the painful moments in Boston sports history. I can go on, but I don’t want to dwell. Whatever.

Go Sox!

13. yankees218 - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I was there. Best game ever, hands down. Man how time flies…

And to the person who said the yanks losing he WS took away some of the sting…um, hello….that was our World Series!!

• 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM

As a Sox fan, I can’t say it was the best game ever. But as a baseball fan, I think Yankees218 has a valid point. Roger Angell’s piece on this game was amazing. He had some line about how the Red Sox lost a game by the smallest amount you can lose by. Just an incredible matchup.

14. offseasonblues - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Huh. I think of it as the Grady Little Swan Song, or the game that made 2004 possible. It hurt. It hurt to see Wake take that loss when he had no business being out there, and could have been the ALCS MVP. Then yes, the 2003 WS outcome did provide some schadenfreude driven pain relief. And “wait till next year” turned into something worth waiting for.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate