Oct 16, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
The American League Championship Series is 2-2.
Tigers starter Doug Fister delivered six innings of one-run ball and the Detroit offense broke out in a major way in Wednesday night’s 7-3 ALCS Game 4 victory over the visiting Red Sox at Comerica Park. Fister dealt with at least one Boston baserunner in each of his six frames, but he was able to work out of those jams while racking up seven strikeouts. He surrendered eight total hits but issued only one walk.
Red Sox starter Jake Peavy pitched a perfect first inning, but the wheels fell off for him in the bottom of the second. He yielded five runs in that frame on three walks, two singles and a double, and then the Tigers tagged him for two more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Peavy made it to just 65 pitches and has now yielded 21 earned runs in 18 1/3 career postseason frames, dating back to his days with the Padres.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland made a couple of bold moves with his lineup heading into Game 4, dropping Austin Jackson to the No. 8 spot and bumping Torii Hunter to leadoff. Miguel Cabrera hit second for the first time since 2004. And it all worked out perfectly. Jackson, who was buried in a postseason slump, snapped out of it for two hits, two walks and two RBI in four trips to the plate. Hunter and Cabrera also drove in two.
Jacoby Ellsbury went 4-for-5 and the Red Sox actually out-hit the Tigers, but that will soon be forgotten.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)