Oct 16, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
The American League Championship Series is 2-2.
Tigers starter Doug Fister delivered six innings of one-run ball and the Detroit offense broke out in a major way in Wednesday night’s 7-3 ALCS Game 4 victory over the visiting Red Sox at Comerica Park. Fister dealt with at least one Boston baserunner in each of his six frames, but he was able to work out of those jams while racking up seven strikeouts. He surrendered eight total hits but issued only one walk.
Red Sox starter Jake Peavy pitched a perfect first inning, but the wheels fell off for him in the bottom of the second. He yielded five runs in that frame on three walks, two singles and a double, and then the Tigers tagged him for two more runs in the bottom of the fourth inning. Peavy made it to just 65 pitches and has now yielded 21 earned runs in 18 1/3 career postseason frames, dating back to his days with the Padres.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland made a couple of bold moves with his lineup heading into Game 4, dropping Austin Jackson to the No. 8 spot and bumping Torii Hunter to leadoff. Miguel Cabrera hit second for the first time since 2004. And it all worked out perfectly. Jackson, who was buried in a postseason slump, snapped out of it for two hits, two walks and two RBI in four trips to the plate. Hunter and Cabrera also drove in two.
Jacoby Ellsbury went 4-for-5 and the Red Sox actually out-hit the Tigers, but that will soon be forgotten.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)