Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez injured his quadriceps while taking a wide turn around first base in the ninth inning last night, grabbing his leg in pain before diving back into the bag.
He was immediately removed for a pinch-runner and just from watching the play it sure seemed like a potentially serious injury, but afterward Martinez insisted to Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com that he’ll be healthy enough to play in Game 4 tonight:
Just a little cramp. but that was it. Anyway, I was going to get a pinch-runner, so not a big deal.
Well, he’s probably right about the pinch-runner part and we’ll find out if he’s right about the “not a big deal” part in six hours or so.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)