Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez injured his quadriceps while taking a wide turn around first base in the ninth inning last night, grabbing his leg in pain before diving back into the bag.
He was immediately removed for a pinch-runner and just from watching the play it sure seemed like a potentially serious injury, but afterward Martinez insisted to Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com that he’ll be healthy enough to play in Game 4 tonight:
Just a little cramp. but that was it. Anyway, I was going to get a pinch-runner, so not a big deal.
Well, he’s probably right about the pinch-runner part and we’ll find out if he’s right about the “not a big deal” part in six hours or so.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)