Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez injured his quadriceps while taking a wide turn around first base in the ninth inning last night, grabbing his leg in pain before diving back into the bag.
He was immediately removed for a pinch-runner and just from watching the play it sure seemed like a potentially serious injury, but afterward Martinez insisted to Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com that he’ll be healthy enough to play in Game 4 tonight:
Just a little cramp. but that was it. Anyway, I was going to get a pinch-runner, so not a big deal.
Well, he’s probably right about the pinch-runner part and we’ll find out if he’s right about the “not a big deal” part in six hours or so.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)