Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez injured his quadriceps while taking a wide turn around first base in the ninth inning last night, grabbing his leg in pain before diving back into the bag.
He was immediately removed for a pinch-runner and just from watching the play it sure seemed like a potentially serious injury, but afterward Martinez insisted to Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com that he’ll be healthy enough to play in Game 4 tonight:
Just a little cramp. but that was it. Anyway, I was going to get a pinch-runner, so not a big deal.
Well, he’s probably right about the pinch-runner part and we’ll find out if he’s right about the “not a big deal” part in six hours or so.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)