Oct 16, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Tigers designated hitter Victor Martinez injured his quadriceps while taking a wide turn around first base in the ninth inning last night, grabbing his leg in pain before diving back into the bag.
He was immediately removed for a pinch-runner and just from watching the play it sure seemed like a potentially serious injury, but afterward Martinez insisted to Bobby Nightengale of MLB.com that he’ll be healthy enough to play in Game 4 tonight:
Just a little cramp. but that was it. Anyway, I was going to get a pinch-runner, so not a big deal.
Well, he’s probably right about the pinch-runner part and we’ll find out if he’s right about the “not a big deal” part in six hours or so.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)