When your* up 2-1 you can dispense with grammar all you’d like

Oct 16, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

john lackey getty Getty Images

Yes, that was intentional. In honor of John Lackey who, as Jeff Passan of Yahoo! notes today in the course of his excellent profile, wears an inspirational t-shirt under his jersey:

He won the right to walk around the clubhouse saying WE FEAR NOTHING. The back of the T-shirt screamed big, bold words as well, and minus the grammatical error, they couldn’t have been more fitting for the Red Sox.

IF YOU SEE THIS, YOUR IN SECOND.

I missed this over the summer, but apparently the Rays’ David Price took note of it on another Red Sox player as well:

I’m the last dude to call out anyone on bad grammar. Indeed, as all good writers know, while grammar matters, it’s more important to get your point across clearly than it is to get too hung up on formal rules.

And unless you can beat the Red Sox in a series — as task no one seems up to yet — the Red Sox’ meaning is quite clear indeed. And thus your not in much of a position too call them out either.

1. rickdobrydney - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Bad grammar is so pervasive — NO ONE can spell or use correct grammar these days. “Your In Second” —–pitiful—-

• blacksables - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Such as the use of capitalized words in the middle of a sentence.

• jm91rs - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM

The only thing worse than the grammar police are the people that try to police the grammar police.

• blacksables - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Is that like a double negative?

• cur68 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I think its emphasis added for emphasis…but that could just be the clump in the kitty litter.

2. pinkfloydprism - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM

It looks like your write on with this article. I mean, there shirts are pretty bad, and we no that nobody every makes grammer errors, especially on shirts that where printed for all to see. The players loose when this happens, but its funny for the rest of us, even though it has a negative affect on them.

In all seriousness, I find it funny that Price pointed out the grammatical error. I think he should save it… what a nerd.

• jm91rs - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:00 AM

You forgot the ‘ in it’s. Was that on pourpose?

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Know.

• cj1844 - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Grammatical errors Write, How about RIGHT LOL

• pinkfloydprism - Oct 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Do I really need to explain that all of those errors were on purpose?

• xdj511 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Reading that made my brain hurt. So, it must have been good.

3. anxovies - Oct 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Momentarily distracted by the error, I thought the T shirt said “your on second” and wondered why a pitcher would wear something like that. See how poor grammar distorts the message?

• blacksables - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Well, as the pitcher faces the batter, any runner looking at the back of his shirt would be on second. So it would work.

4. lightcleric - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Your missing the point entirely.Craig. They’re inability to spell, and use proper grammer is an a front to baseball itself. It really has a profound affect. Its LITERALLY the worst thing possible.

5. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It’s one thing to make a mistake typing out a response, or an email, or whatever. But it’s another thing entirely to dream up a snarky saying, write it up, send the saying with the incorrect grammar to the shirt company, have them print up the shirts, receive the shirts, admire them and show them off to other people, hand them out, wear them in an attempt to be seen by the national media, and STILL not see the obvious error.

Fail.

I really hope the Tigers can rally and beat these knuckleheads.

• km9000 - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Looking forward to the dilemma that will result when they decide to sell these shirts to the public.

6. rickdobrydney - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Knuckleheads indeed…..

7. sandrafluke2012 - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Why should we believe in grammar? Who made the grammar gods the leaders on what is right?

• kevinbnyc - Oct 16, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Without grammar police, there is chaos and doom.

8. deepstblu - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I think “If you can see this, your a looser” would have been better.

9. 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Dustin Pedroia went to college. Good to see he got the most out of that free education.

• RickyB - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Fairly certain that’s David Ross in the photo …

• 18thstreet - Oct 16, 2013 at 7:31 PM

AND I’M STILL RIGHT! DUSTIN PEDROIA WENT TO COLLEGE!

[Tosses over table. Stomps away.]

We’ll be back with more from the O’Reilly Factor after these messages.

10. km9000 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You vs You’re, as politely and elegantly explained by wrestler CM Punk:

• km9000 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM

“Your vs You’re” $&*@#!

11. aceshigh11 - Oct 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I’m a stickler for grammar AND a massive Red Sox fan.

I think I’m going to punt on this one.

12. mornelithe - Oct 16, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The day all news agencies and blog writers stop misusing the word fail, in their articles and headlines, is the day I’ll care about sports athletes grammar. Until then, I’ll keep shaking my head at the state of journalism in it’s entirety.

13. Anoesis - Oct 16, 2013 at 11:04 PM

“Indeed, as all good writers know, while grammar matters, it’s more important to get your point across clearly than it is to get too hung up on formal rules.”

Language, spoken or written, is communication. Poor language, spoken or written, results in miscommunication. If your intent is to get your message across accurately (and why even bother if you don’t care whether or not the message is clear?), then the rules do indeed matter greatly. An untold number of disasters have occurred because people didn’t pay attention to the details.

Correct punctuation can save lives:
    “Let’s eat Grandma!”
    “Let’s eat, Grandma!”

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

“I’d rather be pissed off than pissed on” takes on a whole new meaning if you discount grammar and punctuation: “I’d rather be pissed off, then pissed on.”

Good grammar is like personal hygiene: You can ignore it if you want, but don’t be surprised when other people draw their own conclusions.

Grammar: The difference between feeling your nuts and feeling you’re nuts.

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you’re shit.

I try to keep an open mind about everything except grammar, punctuation, and spelling. I can’t read your mind, you have to accurately convey what you are thinking if you want to get your message across effectively.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win