Oct 17, 2013, 9:46 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports, Avila exited the game with a left patellar tendon strain and is considered day-to-day.
Avila twisted his left knee in the collision with Ross, then took a foul tip off the facemask in the top of the fourth inning. Combine that with the beating he took yesterday, both behind the plate and hitting, Tigers manager Jim Leyland decided to make a change.
Not having Avila available hurt the Tigers in the bottom of the fourth inning, as Brayan Pena came up as a pinch-hitter with runners and first and second and grounded into an inning-ending double play against Jon Lester. The Red Sox still lead it 4-0 going into the top of the fifth inning.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17