ALCS, Game 5: Red Sox-Tigers lineups

Oct 17, 2013, 4:16 PM EST

John Farrell, Jim Leyland AP

Lineups for Game 5 in Detroit …

Red Sox:
CF Jacoby Ellsbury
RF Shane Victorino
2B Dustin Pedroia
DH David Ortiz
1B Mike Napoli
LF Jonny Gomes
SS Stephen Drew
3B Xander Bogaerts
C David Ross

SP Jon Lester

There was lots of post-Game 4 talk about benching someone from the left side of the Red Sox’s infield and manager John Farrell has decided to sit third baseman Will Middlebrooks instead of shortstop Stephen Drew. Rookie Xander Bogaerts will get the start at third base and David Ross is also in the lineup in place of Jarrod Saltalamacchia behind the plate. Oh, and after a one-game reprieve Daniel Nava is back on the bench so Jonny Gomes can start against another right-handed pitcher.

Tigers:
RF Torii Hunter
3B Miguel Cabrera
1B Prince Fielder
DH Victor Martinez
LF Jhonny Peralta
2B Omar Infante
C Alex Avila
CF Austin Jackson
SS Jose Iglesias

SP Anibal Sanchez

After making big changes to the lineup yesterday Tigers manager Jim Leyland is sticking with the same alignment for Game 5, except for swapping Omar Infante and Alex Avila in the batting order. That means more Torii Hunter leading off and another game with Miguel Cabrera batting second, just like all the stat-heads would want.

1. jbriggs81 - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Any chance Boston makes adjustments to Sanchez this time around? he beat them pretty good with his slider, and breaking balls, the first time around. The RedSox have looked pretty weak against the slider all series

• 18thstreet - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:04 PM

True story.

2. cabrera24 - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:41 PM

If tigers win today , its over with max and Justin going for Saturday and game 7 if Nec

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM

John Lackey might have something to say about that.

3. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Seriously, what’s with Farrell’s man-crush on Drew and Gomes?? Oh man, this is gonna be a long night..

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Yah, if that’s the ship we go down on after this season, I will then consider this a failure. I am willing to call it a success if he has the gusto to play the lineup that gives him the best chance.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I hear ya.. at least he got Bogaerts in there tonight. Let’s hope for the best.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I don’t get what his deal is with Drew either.

Gomes? The guy’s good karma…I know that’s a stupid reason to play a guy, but I honestly believe he’s got that Millar/Damon “Idiot” spirit from ’04.

That said, I’m sooo goddamned nervous for tonight.

• MLBlogsbig3bosox - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I know, Gomes reminds me of Millar as well. But man, the Sox struck out 12 times against Sanchez last time with Nava in and Gomes out, and Jonny is more prone to striking out.. but yeah we’ll see.

• Glenn - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:24 PM

You can be a Millar-type from the bench.

• sabatimus - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

They subbed for the wrong guy.

4. georgewashingtonsghost - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM

While the Tigers are certainly in a good position with Max and JV going in games 6 and 7, it’s no sure thing the Tigers will win those games. Both pitchers were lights out in their first starts in this series and the Red Sox won both of those games.

5. aidanscawley - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

If the Tigers advance, I have to wonder what Leyland will decide to do with Jackson, especially if he’s hitting. He might see it as the spark that got Jackson on track and put him back at leadoff, and he might decide that the lineup made a difference and keep him. Interesting. I don’t even know what I would do.

6. wilkisoft - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Gomes, I get. Drew, I do not. Wasn’t a fan of JD. Now “little bro” is following on his footsteps.

• raynman49 - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Don’t get why the Sox are enamored with Drew. Rumor is they want to re sign him. I must have missed something.

• sabatimus - Oct 17, 2013 at 7:30 PM

It boggles my mind. Middlebrooks at least has ample power (if he can hit the ball).

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4996)