Oct 17, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Lineups for Game 5 in Detroit …
SP Jon Lester
There was lots of post-Game 4 talk about benching someone from the left side of the Red Sox’s infield and manager John Farrell has decided to sit third baseman Will Middlebrooks instead of shortstop Stephen Drew. Rookie Xander Bogaerts will get the start at third base and David Ross is also in the lineup in place of Jarrod Saltalamacchia behind the plate. Oh, and after a one-game reprieve Daniel Nava is back on the bench so Jonny Gomes can start against another right-handed pitcher.
After making big changes to the lineup yesterday Tigers manager Jim Leyland is sticking with the same alignment for Game 5, except for swapping Omar Infante and Alex Avila in the batting order. That means more Torii Hunter leading off and another game with Miguel Cabrera batting second, just like all the stat-heads would want.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)