Allen Craig to take batting practice against Jaime Garcia

Oct 17, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT

Allen Craig AP

If the Cardinals get past the Dodgers they’re still holding out some hope that Allen Craig can be ready for the World Series, so Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that Craig will take batting practice against teammate Jaime Garcia tomorrow.

Garcia is rehabbing after shoulder surgery, so his raw stuff probably isn’t close to being all the way back, but it’ll certainly make for an interesting scene at Busch Stadium. Goold notes that Craig is also expected to get some at-bats against healthy pitchers who simply aren’t on the Cardinals’ playoff roster.

Craig hasn’t played since September 4 because of a foot injury.

1. cur68 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I am stunned Craig Allen Calcaterra didn’t post this one. He’s got a thing for Allen Craig. No idea why.

2. cohnjusack - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Hey, I remember Jaime Garcia!

The Cardinals rotation options for 2014:

Adam Wainwright
    Shelby Miller
    Lance Lynn
    Jaime Garcia
    Joe Kelly
    Trevor Rosenthal
    Carlos Martinez
    Michael Wacha
    Tyler Lyons

Also, Seth Maness and John Gast were starters in the minors, but I think there is 0 chance they end up in the rotation.

• blues1988 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:42 PM

you forgot seigrest but i think they like him in the pen. i’m curious about rosenthal because i think for the long term he’s going to be our closer, but we’ll have motte back next year so i don’t know how that’ll pan out.
      my guess would be:

Waino
      Wacha
      Miller
      Garcia
      Kelly

that’ sounds like a solid 1-5 to me! only thing is i really want to see martinez in the rotation but there’s just no room for him, poor cards!

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I think many many Earth Rotations will have to go by before we see Garcia in a Cardinal’s one.

• blues1988 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yeah good point. The only reason i put him in there is because we need a lefty in the rotation. seigrest could fill that spot i suppose, but i’ve heard them say it’s kind of an argument around the organization on what his future is on this team. so who knows, regardless it’ll be fun to watch!

• cohnjusack - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:02 PM

I think there is an excellent reason that Garica will be in the Cardinals rotation next year (assuming he’s fully healthy). That being the roughly $18 million he’s due the next two years and the poor trade value coming off an injury.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I said many but I did not specify how many. I was referring to the Playoffs. I don’t think he’ll be ready by the WS. He’ll be there next year… which is many many Earth Rotations away.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:06 PM

@blues. I think Garcia will be there next year. I failed to specify I didn’t think he would be ready by the World Series. In trying to be clever I was unclear in my thoughts. Sorry!

3. kevinbnyc - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Allen Craig goes 26-30 with 17 HRs, deems himself ready to play.

4. spudchukar - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM

The middle of the Cards line-up is starting to suffer without Craig. Down the stretch, the likes of Adams, Molina, and Jay all pitched in to pick up the slack his absence created, but the Dodger series has shown their downside, particularly in the crucial RBI situations.

If, the Cards make it to the WS, his need will only accented, by the DH. But a healthy contributing Craig, would be a boon to the production of the Cards and set up their line-up nicely, especially for the 4 games in the AL park.

5. MLBlogsbig3bosox - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM

The results of that BP might end up misleading in favor of Allen Craig. Just a wild guess.

6. missingdiz - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM

IF we get to the WS, it’ll be Victor Martinez or David Ortiz vs. Descalso, at best, leaving Kozma in the lineup, too. We’d better have some pretty good pitching.

Hitters adjusting to Masahiro Tanaka