Brad Ausmus will interview for the Nationals job

Oct 17, 2013, 10:47 AM EST

Brad Ausmus AP

Among recently retired players Brad Ausmus has been a popular manager candidate. In the past year along he interviewed to replace Terry Francona with the Red Sox and balked at the chance to interview for the Marlins and Astros openings.

And now he’s in the mix to replace Davey Johnson with the Nationals.

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that Ausmus will interview for the job and the Nationals had to reach out to the Padres to get permission first, because he’s currently a front office assistant in San Diego.

During his 18-year playing career Ausmus was always mentioned as a future manager and at age 44 he’s 26 years younger than Johnson. Obviously the Nationals disappointed this season, but given the talent on their roster it would be a helluva opportunity for a first-time manager.

1. jcmeyer10 - Oct 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I liked Ausmus for the Bo Sox job. Obviously I am ok with who they chose but I think it wouldn’t hurt for an infusion of younger managers who are closer to this iteration of baseball than the last.

2. stex52 - Oct 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Brad was a very popular player with the ‘Stro’s. His hitting deteriorated markedly after 35. But he was one of the best defensive catchers I have ever seen and he was an absolute whiz managing a pitching staff. He is extremely intelligent, and an excellent clubhouse presence. I regretted that he didn’t want to break in with the Astros as a manager, but I understand. (Bo Porter would understand now, too.)

You never know about a manager until he has actually done the job. But I would bet on Ausmus.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Well if he’s pretty good at managing a pitching staff maybe he can manage the bullpen use. I think that’s the primary impact a Manager can have on his team. Of course not sure how to measure that impact. We need a new stat, Stat!

• robmoore - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM

It has always bothered me that one of the main stats people use to measure managers is their record above the pythagorean record – which measures if a team performs above what the stats baseline would suggest it should. It seems to me that an important part of a manager’s job is to get his team performing at a high level to begin with – which means that stat baseline should be higher to begin with. I’m not sure if anyone has successfully measured that, though. I can see who it would be difficult to do so.

• stex52 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Personal opinion, FC. Catchers make excellent pitching coaches because their job is to watch pitchers and bring out their effectiveness (Pitch selection, etc.) Ausmus excelled at that. He used to escort batters to first after they were HBP because it kept the pitcher out of it and he was big enough to convince the batter not to start a fight.

He will be great with all of the pitchers. How he handles the rest of the grind; we will see.

• APBA Guy - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Absolutely agree, Tex, and Ausmus never played for either of my two teams. Cool story that illustrates one reason why I’m all for giving Ausmus a shot:

Back in the dim time, when nobody watched that A’s at the Mausoleum (ie, 1999 or 2000) Ausmus and the Tigers were in town for a day game. The situation was an A’s runner on first, Ausmus catching. We were sitting so close that I could see Ausmus use only his eyes to signal the pitcher to throw over to first. The pitcher gave it his good move and and picked off the runner. As they were running off the field, the pitcher, Ausmus, and the first baseman all touched gloves. The pitcher and first baseman were smiling and happy. Ausmus was all business.

In their era, Matheny and Ausmus were right behind Pudge as the best catchers in the game. Matheny is doing well for a young manager. No reason Ausmus can’t do well either.

• stex52 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Matheny is the best parallel I can think of. Very similar trajectories.

3. mc1439 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Ausmus knows his sH*t mkay…

• ditto65 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM

stooopid cmnt

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Ausmus has the same amount managerial of experience as Cal Ripken, yet there were three separate articles pointing out Cal Ripken’s lack of experience and how he needs to “work his way up”. I’m all fine if a team wants to hire Ausmus, but how come he isn’t given the same treatment?

• mscxvd - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

because he was a catcher. people tend to think catchers make better managers because they tend to have more experience dealing with players yata yata, etc… while ripken jr was a 3B. thats the only reason i can think of other than ripken is a hall of famer so they have to scrutinize him more.

• mscxvd - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM

woops meant ss. I was young when he played and for some reason i always think of him as a 3B

• stex52 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Actually I have no idea. I didn’t follow Ripkin’s career that closely. Was he well regarded in the clubhouse? Was he a leader? etc etc

Ausmus actually built a reputation for being good with the young players, especially pitchers and other catchers. Maybe it was just very clear in his case that he had an aptitude.

• paperlions - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM

That is because being a catcher better prepares a player to be a coach/manager than being a SS/3B.

Ausmus has also worked in baseball operations for the Padres for the last 4 years.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I find great fault in that statement. There are many variables that go into a game, and while one position may have a different perspective, I really don’t see how any position has to do with the primary responsibilities of a manager. (ie. Defensive alignment, Filling out Lineup cards, managing player personalities, Coordinating with other Coaches, Coordinating with the Front office and upper management, Player Substitutions, Management of Bullpen along with the pitching coach.)

While SOME managers have called pitches, not every one does. So how exactly does a catcher prepare a player for becoming a manager?

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Ripken Jr was highly regarded as one of the greatest shortstops of all time, primarily for his defensive abilities. (He only played 3B at the very tail end of his career.) He was a clubhouse leader, well respected, and was often the one aligning the defense as well as often calling in pitches.

” Always wondered: Cal… is it true that you used to call pitches for Orioles catchers sometimes during the game? I forget where I heard that you used to signal pitches to the catcher during games (sometimes overriding signs from the dugout) but it wouldn’t surprise me. You can ‘fess up now?

Cal Ripken Jr.: I like to think of it as making a suggestion every once in awhile. I told the story in my newest book about helping Ben McDonald. It should give you some insight. It is a long-winded story, but I couldn’t keep coming to the mound for meetings with Ben so I developed a set of signs to flash to Chris Hoiles. ”

5. snerdblurter - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

For what its worth, Ripken was known to take over pitch-calling duties from his catcher in big situations, so the distinction may not be as clear as you think.

As a Nats fan, though, I think I’d lean toward Ausmus or Williams more than Cal…

• snerdblurter - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Yeah, what he said…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3297)
  2. J. Kang (3123)
  3. C. McGehee (2840)
  4. J. Upton (2821)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2814)
  1. D. Ross (2627)