Oct 17, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
Bryan Hoch of MLB.com has a Derek Jeter story today, the upshot of which is Jeter thinking that the real reason he couldn’t get healthy and up to speed in 2013 was because he was unable to pursue his usual offseason conditioning routine due to his broken leg last year. He thinks, however, he’ll be back to normal next spring. Joe Girardi makes some noises to that effect too.
This is gonna be one of the most interesting things to watch all winter: do the Yankees believe that too? Do they go in with Jeter and a no-hit defensive caddy like Brendan Ryan or do they go out and get an everyday shortstop to replace Jeter, leaving him to DH duties?
I don’t think this will be as big as, say, Jeter’s last free agent negotiations in terms of drama and ego massaging and all of that, but it could be a pretty big deal anyway.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)