Oct 17, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Dodgers announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets. In order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster, the club has designated outfielder Alex Castellanos for assignment.
Baxter is best known for saving Johan Santana‘s no-hit bid last June 1 by crashing into the left field wall to make a catch and breaking his collarbone in the process. The 28-year-old batted just .189 with a .553 OPS in 155 plate appearances with the Mets this season, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .263/.365/.413 in 89 games.
Baxter has a chance to catch on as an extra outfielder and pinch-hitter with Los Angeles, but the Queens native can sleep soundly knowing that he won’t have to buy a drink for the rest of his life whenever he visits home.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)