Oct 17, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Dodgers announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets. In order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster, the club has designated outfielder Alex Castellanos for assignment.
Baxter is best known for saving Johan Santana‘s no-hit bid last June 1 by crashing into the left field wall to make a catch and breaking his collarbone in the process. The 28-year-old batted just .189 with a .553 OPS in 155 plate appearances with the Mets this season, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .263/.365/.413 in 89 games.
Baxter has a chance to catch on as an extra outfielder and pinch-hitter with Los Angeles, but the Queens native can sleep soundly knowing that he won’t have to buy a drink for the rest of his life whenever he visits home.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)