Oct 17, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Dodgers announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets. In order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster, the club has designated outfielder Alex Castellanos for assignment.
Baxter is best known for saving Johan Santana‘s no-hit bid last June 1 by crashing into the left field wall to make a catch and breaking his collarbone in the process. The 28-year-old batted just .189 with a .553 OPS in 155 plate appearances with the Mets this season, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .263/.365/.413 in 89 games.
Baxter has a chance to catch on as an extra outfielder and pinch-hitter with Los Angeles, but the Queens native can sleep soundly knowing that he won’t have to buy a drink for the rest of his life whenever he visits home.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)