Oct 17, 2013, 6:31 PM EDT
The Dodgers announced this evening that they have claimed outfielder Mike Baxter off waivers from the Mets. In order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster, the club has designated outfielder Alex Castellanos for assignment.
Baxter is best known for saving Johan Santana‘s no-hit bid last June 1 by crashing into the left field wall to make a catch and breaking his collarbone in the process. The 28-year-old batted just .189 with a .553 OPS in 155 plate appearances with the Mets this season, but he’s just one year removed from hitting .263/.365/.413 in 89 games.
Baxter has a chance to catch on as an extra outfielder and pinch-hitter with Los Angeles, but the Queens native can sleep soundly knowing that he won’t have to buy a drink for the rest of his life whenever he visits home.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)