Help A-Rod via an online petition, read a book about him allegedly hiring prostitutes

Oct 17, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Meanwhile, in A-Rod land:

There’s a book coming out about A-Rod that threatens to totally change the way we think about rich, narcissistic athletes who have trouble relating to normal human beings. And by “change the way we think about” I mean “totally, undeniably confirm the way we think about rich, narcissistic athletes.”

Also: there is an online petition to bring A-Rod justice or something:

Hispanics Across America has launched a petition site aimed at “stopping the injustice” with respect to the 211-game suspension given to New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez … The new site, supportarod13.com, features a petition, an A-Rod photo gallery and a link to donate to HAA.

Thank God. I was about to donate some time to help people who have been truly wronged and subjugated by those in power, but now I can do what I truly want to do deep down and donate money to an organization dedicated to helping out Alex Rodriguez.

1. jarathen - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:09 AM

All we need is a Kickstarter to make this farce complete. Help Kickstart Alex Rodriguez’ legal fees, everyone!

2. brent05cards - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Seriously? this is pathetic!

• baseballisboring - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Can’t imagine a better acronym than HAA for this.

3. yankeepunk3000 - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

every American should donate 1 dollar then when he is suspended we can still raise 300 million more dollars and give him a new contract. the we forgive arod contract. Let’s forget the starving kids for just a bit shall we

4. CyclePower - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Craig, you were obsessed with the ARod and PED drama for long enough. I wan’t some commentary about Adrian Gonzales’ mickey mouse gesture with some links to some uptight Cardinals advocates saying this violates the unwritten rules about overly demonstrative celebrations.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Come on now. Joe Tacopina can’t just pay himself.

6. Uncle Charlie - Oct 17, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Playing it safe after baseball’s greatest fans blowback, eh?

7. deathmonkey41 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Leave A-Rod’s online petition alone!!!

8. ilovegspot - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Do they have the picture of him kissing a mirror on the site.

9. cur68 - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Please set ARod on fire so I can cross the street to put him out. THAT’S all the help I’m prepared to render him. He got himself in this position, he can pay his lawyer to get him out of it.

• historiophiliac - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM

You’re gonna pee on him to do that, right?

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Nah. I’m gonna grab Tim McCarver by the ankles and use him to beat the fire out. One way or another, we’ll get an outcome we’ll all like.

• historiophiliac - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

No cardboard boxes!!!!

• 18thstreet - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I gave up on the game early last night (sue me). What’s the deal with the cardboard box? I feel like I should have kept watching just in case something like that happened so I could understand the jokes on twitter.

And, b, was it more or less annoying than McCarver’s obsession with how long Scherzer was holding the ball with a runner on base? Because THAT was the worst announcing I’ve ever seen. Given how much everyone else hates McCarver, I almost feel like I qualify as a fan since I don’t hate him THAT much. But after THAT game? Sign me up for FireTimMcCarver.com. I’m so glad he’s leaving.

• historiophiliac - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:35 PM

They brought a birthday cake out in a cardboard box for McCarver last night and it had a lot of candles on it. McCarver was like: Not a cardboard box! So Buck told him to blow the candles out quickly. McCarver made a comment about the intelligence of putting flame that close to the box.

I have hated listening to McCarver but, honestly, last night I started to feel a little sorry for him. He has to correct himself on names and things so many times — I felt bad for him. Clearly, he and Buck don’t have that much insight for the games and don’t know the teams that well, so they rely on McCarver’s old stories and things they put together before the game (like the golf comparison). They rely on researchers to feed them historical tidbits to share during the game too and they re-aired the thing on the Sox’s beards. McCarver is well past his best days and Buck got that job because he’s a legacy. They need a reboot on the whole program.

FYI, I texted this to a buddy (Sox fan) last night: You can make a sammich between pitches when Papi’s at the plate. lol

10. bfunk1978 - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Wait, is HAA strictly an ARod support organization? I had assumed (apparently incorrectly) that this was a legit organization who was stuck defending him because he’s Hispanic.

• jwbiii - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM

They’re a New York based Hispanic advocacy group; they’ve been around for a while. They don’t seem to get much press for their efforts
      But, hey, look! It’s Murray Chass!

Scam alert: Charity Navigator doesn’t know about them, and they say they have records on all 1.6m IRS registered non-profits, although they only provide ratings for 6,000.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

So pre-Biogenesis at least, which is good, but still potentially sketchy.

• jwbiii - Oct 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Yes, also pre-Rodriguez as a Yankee, but potentially sketchy.

11. Anoesis - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’d love to help ARoid out. Which way’d he come in?

12. joestemme - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

F#$K A-Roid and his hookers – well, at least the prostitutes…….. :)

• 18thstreet - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Fisk A-Roid?

• historiophiliac - Oct 17, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Frisk?

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3631)