Oct 17, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Red Sox were held hitless for six innings by Anibal Sanchez back in Game 1 of the ALCS on Saturday, but they are off to a quick start against him tonight.
Mike Napoli led off the top of the second inning with a long home run to straightaway center field to get the Red Sox on the board. It traveled an estimated 460 feet, which ESPN’s Buster Olney notes is the longest in the postseason since Prince Fielder in 2008. Jonny Gomes then reached on an error by Miguel Cabrera and Xander Bogaerts delivered a one-out double, which set up an RBI double by David Ross. Jacoby Ellsbury followed with an infield single to get another run across.
The Red Sox were prevented from getting a fourth run after Shane Victorino hit a ground ball to second base and Alex Avila managed to hold on to throw to home plate following a nasty collision with David Ross. Avila was checked out by a team trainer, but managed to stay in the game. It’s worth noting that both Avila and Ross missed time with concussions this season.
With Jon Lester on the hill, the Red Sox lead Game 5 by score of 3-0 in the bottom of the second inning in Detroit.
- So that Juan Uribe to the Braves trade is back on … 0
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 13
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 68
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)