Oct 17, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
That is, if our process of elimination is correct. The upshot: earlier today MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reported that Jose Abreu narrowed his list of potential destinations to the Astros, Red Sox and White Sox. Then Buster Olney reported that the Astros’ bid has fallen short and that the Red Sox did not expect to sign him. Ergo, therefore, as such and thus: White Sox.
Abreu, in case you missed it, is a 6-foot-3, 250 pound power prospect. He’s 26 and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three years. Because of his age he’s not subject to the international signing limits recently announced, and it’s expected that he could get Puig money and then some, with some speculating that he could command upwards of $60-70 million.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 28
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 58
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27