Oct 17, 2013, 4:34 PM EST
That is, if our process of elimination is correct. The upshot: earlier today MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reported that Jose Abreu narrowed his list of potential destinations to the Astros, Red Sox and White Sox. Then Buster Olney reported that the Astros’ bid has fallen short and that the Red Sox did not expect to sign him. Ergo, therefore, as such and thus: White Sox.
Abreu, in case you missed it, is a 6-foot-3, 250 pound power prospect. He’s 26 and played in Cuba’s top league for more than three years. Because of his age he’s not subject to the international signing limits recently announced, and it’s expected that he could get Puig money and then some, with some speculating that he could command upwards of $60-70 million.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)