The Nats treat their employees to a Cardinals playoff game

Oct 17, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT

Gonna be honest. Starting to get worried about my pick of the Nats as World Series champs. I mean, anything can happen in a short series, but I don’t feel like Washington is gonna win it all this year.

In other news, the Nationals are giving a treat to their employees. A trip to St. Louis to watch another baseball team play in the playoffs.

I became aware of this when a Nats fan I know tweeted it.  Here’s how it’s playing there:

What say you, other Nats fans? My sense is that, if I was an employee, I’d think it’s kind of nice. But it’s hard to disagree with Chris that this is a bit tone deaf as a matter of public relations. At best it’s a great opportunity for people to make fun of the Nats.

Not that anyone around here would ever do that.

1. moogro - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:05 PM

The tone-deaf part is having to go to a baseball park as a reward, when you work at one everyday. And worse, it’s in St. Louis. (I know, I know, St. Louis is great, etc.) When I was a caterer, they threw us an outdoor party that had catering. When I worked at a towing company, they brought us a to a demolition derby, etc. etc. Were these the only options? Some job creators are morons.

• fatheruburu - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:32 PM

A demolition derby is in the rarefied air of all-around awesomeness, no?

• voteforno6 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I’ve been to a couple of demolition derbies that involved combines…that might involve even-more-all-around awesomeness.

• raysfan1 - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I’d say that anyone who who works for a MLB franchise and does not enjoy going to a ballpark to watch a game really ought to find a different line of work.

• paperlions - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:22 PM

…because anyone that works for a law office should enjoy going to court and anyone that works for a university should enjoy going to lectures?

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:37 PM

bc a lawfirm is as fun to go to as a baseball game? Is that what your saying? I would think people here on this site like baseball, I doubt they post on lawyer sites.

It was a small group anyway in the picture, so I am sure some people didnt want to go.

Everyone mocks the transient people who work in DC, maybe these people were from St. Louis and got a free trip?

What is the tone deafness here other than Craig trolling nats fans… again.

• raysfan1 - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:13 PM

There are significant differences between working in an entertainment industry and the legal profession. Going to court is not entertainment for most folk. Ditto for academia and lectures.

Obviously there is no rule that someone working in an entertainment industry has to enjoy that form of entertainment. However, I tend to think they would not be as happy in that case and thus might be better off somewhere else.

Regardless, offering a trip to a game is a pretty nice gesture, and the fact the employer happens to be a competitor in the same sport does not diminish that.

2. andreweac - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM

It’s obvious the Nationals are concerned about their front office’s tWtW and are hoping seeing a Cardinals at off game helps them understand the grit, character and want required to want to win.

3. eldeano99 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:27 PM

As a Cards fan, I will take this as a compliment!

• mscxvd - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

As a cards fan i have to say i doubt it has anything to do with the cards. St.louis is closer than LA.

• paperlions - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Boston and Detroit are closer than StL

• mscxvd - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM

The nats are in the national league and prob dont want to send their employees to the ALCS kinda like sending them to a rival company or something.

4. orakpownd - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:28 PM

I am sure noone would make fun of them. NL East Champs a year back and have been in existence for 7years total….not too shabby.

• bankboy2012 - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Too bad they refuse to acknowledge the first 37 seasons the franchise was around. Every day that goes by Montreal fades a little further into the mists of baseball history and it’s a shame.

• stoutfiles - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

One day the Expos will be back. But yeah, most cities don’t acknowledge what a team did before they came to their current city. It’s more about the city than the franchise.

• someguyinva - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM

It’s not entirely true to say the Nats refuse to acknowledge the Expos. The Ring of Honor at Nats Park includes Gary Carter and Andre Dawson, as well as many former Washington Senators (the franchise that became the Twins) and Homestead Grays.

• voteforno6 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

That’s true about the Expos…a couple of years ago, they brought in Andre Dawson for an autograph session with season ticket holders.

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This guy has no clue- The Ring of Honor has Expos, along with Negro league players from the Greys, and Senators. Expos are very acknowledged.

The Nats hating by Craig is getting pretty tiresome, but so have most of his articles.

5. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 17, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I would love it if my employer paid for me to travel to another city and attend a friggen playoff baseball game. Sadly this is an opportunity for mean and petty people to make fun of an organization that is doing a really cool and completely unnecessary thing for their employees.

6. littlraskul - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM

if this had been the braves’ front office, calcaterra would be droning on about how admirable this is. such a homer. stop taking swipes and actually consider journalism, please.

• paperlions - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

You don’t pay much attention, do you?

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I dont pay attention to Craigs articles. He thinks hes the comedy relief on HBT, but really he just has the meaningless articles that he thinks make it his own little deadspin or buzzfeeed… Oh my God that Nats did something different- lets make fun of them,

And he mocks the cretins who mock spirit day in his next post today. What a fraud.

• paperlions - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Man, you REALLY don’t pay attention or read…you know…pretty much anything here, do you?

If you don’t enjoy the commentary or discussions, then don’t read them.

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Touchy touchy douchy douchy.

Move on from the Nats trolling.

Why doesnt Craig take another douchy selfie for his twitter account.

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I dont know if PaperLions is Craig or some mega-Craig defender, but I think the comments generally agree this is a pretty stupid and douchy article that not many people or Nats fans for that matter find offensive.

Maybe I dont appreciate his uber awesome trolling and irreverence.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Is there a journalist around here you’re addressing this comment to? If so, better use his name. We’d all like to know who that is.

• crabcakesfootball - Oct 17, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I would think he means Craig and his constant articles just trying to troll fans of teams. The journalism on this site seems to be done by everyone else.

I guess they consider Craig the Deadspin/gotcha-article/comedy relief…. which he fails miserably at.

• cur68 - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Well, its a free blog. We’re all free to go elsewhere. Don’t like the content? Well the rest of the internet is free for you to go to.

As for Craig’s sense of humour, personally I think its pretty good. And mostly he doesn’t troll fans, just Phans and they mostly troll themselves.

Its funny how some people take the “its only funny if it isn’t about my team” view. Its STILL funny and its only sports. Some people should lighten up.

• raysfan1 - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:02 PM

What cur is getting at is this is a blog. None of the HBT writers consider themselves journalists. People who want journalism should stick to news sources and not blogs.

7. herkulease - Oct 17, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Geez baseball and some of their fans like to make a huge stink about everything. Unwritten rules, too much celebrating, etc.

How are tickets to MLB playoff games distributed? Are any allocated to teams?

The NFL at least for the Superbowl, gives 1.2% of the tickets to the other teams not it game or hosting. Not sure about the other rounds.

Teams can distribute those tickets amongst their employees or given away to fans/charity/etc. There’s no stink made that Vikings got tickets to Superbowl featuring the Packers or insert rivalry of your choice.

Would people make a stink about if these employees were treated to a game of the World Series? Or really its the issue that the cardinals are playing and it doesn’t matter.

8. natocoles - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM

If the hypothetical Nats employee doesn’t want the tickets, I am certain that they will be able to sell their tickets to a very non-hypothetical St. Louis buyer for an inflated price.

And if the hypothetical Nats employee wants to go to the game and have some fun, then they can do that instead.

Win-win.

9. jss1330 - Oct 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I don’t understand the criticism since it’s coming from people that aren’t employees. Do they also complain about complete strangers year end bonuses or employer 401k contributions or tips that other diners leave? Or is it only employers that reward their employees that should be made fun of? Needham sounds like an ass.

10. Marc - Oct 17, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I used to be employed by a baseball team, and here’s the thing. You don’t end up working for the team that you grew up rooting for. The chances of that are 1 in 30. You take the job that you get, because you know what?, It’s a job in baseball. Furthermore, if you work for a baseball team, you LOVE baseball. Not just the team you grew up rooting for or the one that signs you’re paychecks. You love the game.

So when you’re offered free playoff tickets you calmly and quickly accept the gesture, and then when you’re alone you do a happy dance. You don’t scoff at the opportunity to witness playoff baseball because of the two teams involved.

Good on the Nats for knowing that a gesture like this doesn’t go just a long way, it goes miles further than you can see. The month or two following a team’s last game, are full of vacation time and short days for office staff, so this is the most opportunistic way and perfect time to thank your staff for a long, long hard season of work. More teams should do this.

• raysfan1 - Oct 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM

A much better way of making the point I was trying to make with my first comment!

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3707)