Oct 17, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
The Tigers are inching closer to the Red Sox in Game 5 of the ALCS.
After Jon Lester walked Victor Martinez to lead off the bottom of the sixth inning, he bounced back by striking out Jhonny Peralta swinging. However, Omar Infante followed with a bloop single which dropped in front of a diving Jacoby Ellsbury in center field, which was enough for John Farrell to pull Lester in favor of Junichi Tazawa. The pitching change didn’t pay immediate dividends, as Brayan Pena knocked in Martinez with an RBI single to left-center, but Tazawa was able to get Austin Jackson to ground into an inning-ending double play to prevent any further damage. Dustin Pedroia made a nice turn at second base in order to make it happen.
The Red Sox lead the Tigers by the score of 4-2 in the top of the seventh inning.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17