Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Tigers still have some work to do, but they are on the board against the Red Sox in Game 5 of the ALCS.
The suddenly-hot Austin Jackson led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a single and was bunted over to second base by Jose Iglesias. The bunt required an excellent play from Jon Lester to even get the out at first base. Torii Hunter fouled out to David Ross for the second out of the inning, but Miguel Cabrera singled to left-center field to drive in Jackson. The Tigers failed to do any more damage, as Prince Fielder grounded out to end the inning. The struggling slugger heard plenty of boos from the Comerica Park crowd.
The Red Sox lead 4-1 as Anibal Sanchez goes back to the mound for the top of the sixth inning.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)