Oct 17, 2013, 10:10 PM EDT
The Tigers still have some work to do, but they are on the board against the Red Sox in Game 5 of the ALCS.
The suddenly-hot Austin Jackson led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a single and was bunted over to second base by Jose Iglesias. The bunt required an excellent play from Jon Lester to even get the out at first base. Torii Hunter fouled out to David Ross for the second out of the inning, but Miguel Cabrera singled to left-center field to drive in Jackson. The Tigers failed to do any more damage, as Prince Fielder grounded out to end the inning. The struggling slugger heard plenty of boos from the Comerica Park crowd.
The Red Sox lead 4-1 as Anibal Sanchez goes back to the mound for the top of the sixth inning.
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 49
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (76)