Oct 17, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers pulled within one run of the Red Sox in the bottom of the seventh inning, but they squandered a chance at a bigger rally.
Jose Iglesias and Torii Hunter hit back-to-back singles off Junichi Tazawa, setting up Miguel Cabrera to hit with runners at first and third and nobody out. However, the air was quickly taken out of the rally after Tazawa got Cabrera to ground into a double play. While a run scored as a result of the play, the Red Sox were happy to make that trade. Craig Breslow then replaced Tazawa to face Prince Fielder and got him to ground out to second base to end the inning.
The Red Sox lead 4-3 as Game 5 goes into the top of the eighth inning at Comerica Park. Jose Veras remains in the ballgame for the Tigers.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 160
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 69
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (161)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)