Oct 17, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
The Tigers pulled within one run of the Red Sox in the bottom of the seventh inning, but they squandered a chance at a bigger rally.
Jose Iglesias and Torii Hunter hit back-to-back singles off Junichi Tazawa, setting up Miguel Cabrera to hit with runners at first and third and nobody out. However, the air was quickly taken out of the rally after Tazawa got Cabrera to ground into a double play. While a run scored as a result of the play, the Red Sox were happy to make that trade. Craig Breslow then replaced Tazawa to face Prince Fielder and got him to ground out to second base to end the inning.
The Red Sox lead 4-3 as Game 5 goes into the top of the eighth inning at Comerica Park. Jose Veras remains in the ballgame for the Tigers.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (95)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)