Oct 17, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers pulled within one run of the Red Sox in the bottom of the seventh inning, but they squandered a chance at a bigger rally.
Jose Iglesias and Torii Hunter hit back-to-back singles off Junichi Tazawa, setting up Miguel Cabrera to hit with runners at first and third and nobody out. However, the air was quickly taken out of the rally after Tazawa got Cabrera to ground into a double play. While a run scored as a result of the play, the Red Sox were happy to make that trade. Craig Breslow then replaced Tazawa to face Prince Fielder and got him to ground out to second base to end the inning.
The Red Sox lead 4-3 as Game 5 goes into the top of the eighth inning at Comerica Park. Jose Veras remains in the ballgame for the Tigers.
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 0
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 33
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 40
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23