Oct 17, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers pulled within one run of the Red Sox in the bottom of the seventh inning, but they squandered a chance at a bigger rally.
Jose Iglesias and Torii Hunter hit back-to-back singles off Junichi Tazawa, setting up Miguel Cabrera to hit with runners at first and third and nobody out. However, the air was quickly taken out of the rally after Tazawa got Cabrera to ground into a double play. While a run scored as a result of the play, the Red Sox were happy to make that trade. Craig Breslow then replaced Tazawa to face Prince Fielder and got him to ground out to second base to end the inning.
The Red Sox lead 4-3 as Game 5 goes into the top of the eighth inning at Comerica Park. Jose Veras remains in the ballgame for the Tigers.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)