Oct 17, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers pulled within one run of the Red Sox in the bottom of the seventh inning, but they squandered a chance at a bigger rally.
Jose Iglesias and Torii Hunter hit back-to-back singles off Junichi Tazawa, setting up Miguel Cabrera to hit with runners at first and third and nobody out. However, the air was quickly taken out of the rally after Tazawa got Cabrera to ground into a double play. While a run scored as a result of the play, the Red Sox were happy to make that trade. Craig Breslow then replaced Tazawa to face Prince Fielder and got him to ground out to second base to end the inning.
The Red Sox lead 4-3 as Game 5 goes into the top of the eighth inning at Comerica Park. Jose Veras remains in the ballgame for the Tigers.
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 2
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)