Oct 18, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Sources close to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand tell him that the Yankees are preparing for a shopping spree that could total as much as $300 million. Marchand recalls that the last time the Yankees unloaded that much money in a single off-season came after the 2008 season, when the Yankees committed a total of $423 million to CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, and A.J. Burnett.
The Yankees are expected to push for Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka and many believe they will eventually bring second baseman Robinson Cano back after he deflates his price. As their catching situation is a bit of a mess, Brian McCann would make some sense. They have had their eye on veteran outfielder Carlos Beltran as well.
With Alex Rodriguez‘s future up in the air as his legal battles are pending, Derek Jeter‘s health a gigantic question mark, and having watched Mariano Rivera walk into retirement, the Yankees want to do something to generate renewed interest in the organization. It will be tough to do that if they stand pat with a team that finished in a tie for third place in the AL East with an 85-77 record.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)