Oct 18, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Sources close to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand tell him that the Yankees are preparing for a shopping spree that could total as much as $300 million. Marchand recalls that the last time the Yankees unloaded that much money in a single off-season came after the 2008 season, when the Yankees committed a total of $423 million to CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, and A.J. Burnett.
The Yankees are expected to push for Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka and many believe they will eventually bring second baseman Robinson Cano back after he deflates his price. As their catching situation is a bit of a mess, Brian McCann would make some sense. They have had their eye on veteran outfielder Carlos Beltran as well.
With Alex Rodriguez‘s future up in the air as his legal battles are pending, Derek Jeter‘s health a gigantic question mark, and having watched Mariano Rivera walk into retirement, the Yankees want to do something to generate renewed interest in the organization. It will be tough to do that if they stand pat with a team that finished in a tie for third place in the AL East with an 85-77 record.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 32
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)