Oct 18, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Sources close to ESPN’s Andrew Marchand tell him that the Yankees are preparing for a shopping spree that could total as much as $300 million. Marchand recalls that the last time the Yankees unloaded that much money in a single off-season came after the 2008 season, when the Yankees committed a total of $423 million to CC Sabathia, Mark Teixeira, and A.J. Burnett.
The Yankees are expected to push for Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka and many believe they will eventually bring second baseman Robinson Cano back after he deflates his price. As their catching situation is a bit of a mess, Brian McCann would make some sense. They have had their eye on veteran outfielder Carlos Beltran as well.
With Alex Rodriguez‘s future up in the air as his legal battles are pending, Derek Jeter‘s health a gigantic question mark, and having watched Mariano Rivera walk into retirement, the Yankees want to do something to generate renewed interest in the organization. It will be tough to do that if they stand pat with a team that finished in a tie for third place in the AL East with an 85-77 record.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 25
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 83
- The Lester trade is a win-win 111
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (110)