Oct 18, 2013, 8:09 PM EST
In the words of Dodgers manager Don Mattingly, shortstop Hanley Ramirez is “worse today”, tweets Jayson Stark. Ramirez has been playing with a cracked rib caused by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of the first game of the NLCS. Ramirez has just two hits (both singles) in 16 trips to the plate in NLCS play after hitting Braves pitching at a .500 clip during the NLDS.
Mattingly was resigned to hoping Ramirez could pinch-hit at some point during Game 6, as Ramirez — at the time — didn’t ”feel like he can swing the bat right now”. Nick Punto was initially in the lineup to start in Ramirez’s place at shortstop, batting eighth, but Ramirez was added back into the lineup late.
The updated Dodger lineup for Game 6:
Carl Crawford, LF
Mark Ellis, 2B
Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
Hanley Ramirez, SS
Andre Ethier, CF
Yasiel Puig, RF
Juan Uribe, 3B
A.J. Ellis, C
The Cardinal lineup remains unchanged.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 44
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 32
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 50
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)