Oct 18, 2013, 8:09 PM EDT
In the words of Dodgers manager Don Mattingly, shortstop Hanley Ramirez is “worse today”, tweets Jayson Stark. Ramirez has been playing with a cracked rib caused by a 95 MPH Joe Kelly fastball in the first inning of the first game of the NLCS. Ramirez has just two hits (both singles) in 16 trips to the plate in NLCS play after hitting Braves pitching at a .500 clip during the NLDS.
Mattingly was resigned to hoping Ramirez could pinch-hit at some point during Game 6, as Ramirez — at the time — didn’t “feel like he can swing the bat right now”. Nick Punto was initially in the lineup to start in Ramirez’s place at shortstop, batting eighth, but Ramirez was added back into the lineup late.
The updated Dodger lineup for Game 6:
Carl Crawford, LF
Mark Ellis, 2B
Adrian Gonzalez, 1B
Hanley Ramirez, SS
Andre Ethier, CF
Yasiel Puig, RF
Juan Uribe, 3B
A.J. Ellis, C
The Cardinal lineup remains unchanged.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 16
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 103
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8