Oct 18, 2013, 1:56 PM EST
Nathan would be turning down $9.5 million for 2014, but he’s looking for a multi-year deal and even at age 38 he’s been dominant enough to warrant it on the open market. Nathan saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings this season and posted a 2.09 ERA in 129 innings overall for the Rangers after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery.
So will Texas make a multi-year bid to keep him? Sullivan doesn’t seem to think so, writing that “the Rangers are preparing to look at other options for their closer with Joakim Soria, Neftali Feliz and possibly Tanner Scheppers as the prime options.”
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 138
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 39
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 15
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 23