Oct 18, 2013, 1:56 PM EDT
Nathan would be turning down $9.5 million for 2014, but he’s looking for a multi-year deal and even at age 38 he’s been dominant enough to warrant it on the open market. Nathan saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings this season and posted a 2.09 ERA in 129 innings overall for the Rangers after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery.
So will Texas make a multi-year bid to keep him? Sullivan doesn’t seem to think so, writing that “the Rangers are preparing to look at other options for their closer with Joakim Soria, Neftali Feliz and possibly Tanner Scheppers as the prime options.”
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 15
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17