Meanwhile, local news in St. Louis is not helping

Oct 18, 2013, 4:02 PM EDT

I’m trying to help, Cards fans. I really am. But your local news station is not helping.

source:

Bright side: about one of every three comments I read is basically telling them to cut that crap out because that, more than anything, is why people are getting on Cards fans lately.

(Thanks to Matt Sebek, who is also totally tired of this crap, for the heads up)

1. happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM

why can’t you just let the Jesse James state have its fun. we have a party for them every year in Northfield.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Well, if you knew anything about history, you would know that Jesse James was from the west side of the state, and St Louis is on the east side of the state. A couple of hundred miles difference.

Of course, it took 300 minnesotans to gun down 2 Missourians, and then spend 2 weeks chasing the rest of them.

So keep celebrating your Pyrrhic victory. It’s the only one you’ll have for the next few years.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM

as a twins fan i am desperate for any kind of of victory. thank you very much, i will take it.

2. jcmeyer10 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Amen. Look Boston fans can be annoying, I can be annoying, but I am not putting Sox fans on a pedestal, in fact, I find myself apologizing for them more often.

3. bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:10 PM

At least some of the fans are revolting. We’re not all morons. I mean, I am, but not all of us.

• shea801 - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:10 PM

You spelled it wrong. It’s m-o-r-A-n-s.

/get a brain ;)

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Gah. Momentary memory lapse.

4. bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Also if you want to follow a Cardinals fan, I recommend Sebek. He’s pretty great. The Fozzie Bear in a Cardinals cap that was spotted at PNC when Wacha pitched was actually his doing back in February. Plus he’s got that cool Rookies app for iOS to make your own customizable sports cards.

5. fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I think this post is the definition of “concern trolling.”

Is it game time yet?

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

P.S. Meanwhile, the LA Times has some news that may be of interest to the Red Sox: http://www.latimes.com/fashion/alltherage/la-ar-oh-be-shaved-oct-18-is-national-no-beard-day-20131016,0,537328.story

6. jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My local news station also likes to gin up emotional responses on a variety of topics. It’s just clickbait.

7. boltfansmith - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Dodger fans are better because we aren’t homosexual

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Yeah. West Hollywood called. They miss you and want you back.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:41 PM

The LA Breeders?

8. emykk - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I think that’s just the way the media is. The best fans in baseball stuff has been around St. Louis for years, and the media feeds it. Who is it hurting? Cards fans love their team, just like most other fans in other cities love their teams. We’re just lucky enough to have a team that gives us a reason to cheer every season.

9. jdr1919 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Please GOD, I beg of you, as a die hard cards fan, stop talking about the fans. Anyone who really loves the Cardinals despises the “best fans in baseball” crap. It is the type of moniker that gets the type of interviews you would expect from a fan that revels in being a part of the “best fans in baseball.”

We have great fans. As do many franchises in many sports. We’re no different. The Cardinals organization itself perpetuates this problem, and it needs to end! I would hate us too if I had this best fans in baseball stuff crammed down my throat over and over.

• anxovies - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I am a life-long Yankee fan who lived in St. Louis several years and I have to admit that Cardinals fans are pretty good as far as making the games enjoyable. Even though the beer flows freely in the stands I don’t remember any ugly incidents and the tradition of applauding good plays by opposing players is pretty refreshing.

10. brewcrewfan54 - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

These guys act like they had to pass some great test like the labors of Hercules in order to become a Cardinal fan. Get over yourselves. As a Packer fan, we have a lot of fans who act the same way.

11. kinggator - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM

If they gave the World Series was decided by who has the “Best Fans” I’d give a hoot about this, but that’s not how it works. Stay Classy and keep working on the title of “Most Dangerous City” St Louis!

12. sgtr0c - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

It’s all about the “clicks” people. Good or bad clicks count the same. The written opinions only count when people click on them, which adds to the counted clicks. All fans of every team are great.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM

no they aren’t. all the good fans live north of the mason dixon line and well off both coasts, with the possible exception of seattle because they’re pretty close to canada.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Uh, Seattle is on the coast.

The Puget Sound is coastline. Just like the San Francisco Bay is.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

i am only happy because ignorance is bliss

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I appreciate your humor Twins fan. More and more each day!

• sgtr0c - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Sarcasum, yes, well done. In my best best Bugs Bunny Stinkerism, in 2013, of the ten top attendances in ball parks is an even 5/5 split above and below the line. Dodgers edgeing out the Cards by 300k for the top 1 and 2 teams. Go Phillies, the Dodgers edge the Cards in best fans for attendance.

13. paperlions - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:59 PM

But we ARE the best fans in baseball. Why do you guys hate the truth?

/s

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:21 PM

And again…excellent use of the sarcasm notation.

14. cardslifer - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Craig, I think you should drop this whole topic. And the whole, I’m trying to help, but… is nothing but a cop out phrase.

All you do is rip on the Cardianls, all year long. I remember reading one story how you were sour about the Cardinals dropping an offer because a kid had bad eyes.

Get a life and write about something positive you bum.

If I wanted to read something negative, I would got to Cards Talk on The Post Dispatches website.

• cohnjusack - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Yeah Craig! Stop commenting on stories posted by media outlets regarding baseball? You act like it’s your job to do this or something. Malarky!

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM

“All you do is rip on the Cardinals..”

The Cardinals, apparently, are the new Phillies. :P

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

…and Cardinal fans are providing evidence that, as a group, they aren’t any different from Philly Phans. When Craig was trolling the Phillies, there were some thin-skinned Phans that couldn’t either joke about it or just let it go and got defensive over and over and over….and now, some Cardinal fans are doing the exact same thing.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM

There is a difference between a team and the fanbase.

Having the team you follow insulted is one thing. Being insulted yourself is a completely different thing.

But thanks for the support.

• mscxvd - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:26 PM

honestly craig rarely commented on the cardinals all year and when he did it was mostly positive so…. yeah.

15. sportsdrenched - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:11 PM

College Football called, they think this whole thing is cute.

16. koufaxmitzvah - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM

This might surprise some St Louis Cardinal fans, but in California, there aren’t any billboards exploiting images of aborted baby fetuses.

At least, that’s what I think about in regards to this overly sanctimonious bullshit.

On a personal note, I’ve got friends and family in St. Louis, and one of them surprised me with a Facebook post about Puig. Just shocked me in terms of passive-aggressive callousness, which is not my friend at all. And then others piped in and it was, holy shit, guys, at least our rookies aren’t cracking your freaking ribs.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

If Dodgers fans are so fantastic, how come the majority of the population in Los Angeles watched the Mexico – Panama World Cup qualifier last Friday, instead of the first game of the NLCS?

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM

LA is a big place. Room for more than one diversion.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

New York is a big place. When the Yankees or Mets are in the playoffs, that’s what they watch.

Not soccer. Or, as I’ve said before, 60% of Dodgers fans are Mexicans, and baseball isn’t their priority.

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

You seem to know alot about the area. How long have you lived here?

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I don’t anymore, and I count myself lucky every day.

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You haven’t been missed.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

And that bothers me in what way?

• saints97 - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM

What rookie was cracking ribs? The guy you are trying to crack on isn’t a rookie.

Fail.

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Oh, bullshit, koufaxmitzvah. I’ve lived in California for 18 years now, and I love it, but you just let me know when you want to take a day trip to see some of the most revolting billboards ever conceived (see what I did there?). We’ll start here: http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2011/06/racist_billboards_pop_up_in_ca.php

Seriously, people, get a grip. It’s a damned game.

• mscxvd - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

eh, most people commenting like this aren’t real baseball fans anyways. they may say they are, they may watch a lot of games, they may know a lot of stats, but they aren’t really baseball fans.

17. jhaegs - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Still better than a bunch of cholos wearing tall tees, wife beaters, flat bills, and gang tattoos. Instead of a rally towel, they should hand out rape whistles and pepper spray when you walk through the gate. If Dodger Stadium were a city, I’m pretty sure it would top that “Most Dangerous” list.

• moogro - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:10 PM

You would say that, because let’s face it, you are a towel.

• mscxvd - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:36 PM

seriously shut the fuck up! your not a real baseball fan and i hope to fucking god you arnt a cardinals fan b/c if you are all you are doing is making youself look foolish and the cardinals look bad! you and many others on this site are part of the problem!

18. jre80 - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Lil annoying I agree. I’m a cardinal fan and I just never pay any attention. I watch the games not the news. Nor do I have Facebook. Isn’t like the whole Red Sox/Yanks crap don’t get old in the Midwest. This is our own lil local deal. If u don’t like it, don’t search it on Facebook, unlike sox/yanks, we gotta hear it on any and every national broadcast

19. jhaegs - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Oh, let’s not forget the short-pants and tall socks. Classy bunch…

20. jhaegs - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

I think half the fans attend the game thinking it’s a mass gathering of their fellow “Crips”, and they think the Cardinals and their fans are the rival “Bloods”. Ding Ding Ding Ding!

21. ilovegspot - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Who the fuck would want to live in St Louis. All there isto do is that dumb arch and six flags. no wonder the Cards are popular there is nothing else to do there. The women are all ugly too. I hear car theft is popular. Come to LA. Hot chicks, great weather, mountains, deserts and the beach. Need I say more…

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:16 PM

No…I think your post tells us all we need to know.

22. stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Lord, God, Baby Jesus…please stop with the best fans stuff.

It is making my head ache and my stomach hurt. It is some of the most pretentious shit I have ever seen. I am over it. I can’t (won’t) take my anxiety medicine because I am about to get my drink on.
    C.C. for the love of Mother Earth…make it stop. You have the power. I am a short 3 – 3 1/12 hour drive to Columbus. What’s it gonna’ take? Please…I beg of you. What is your favorite crappy micro brew? I can be there tomorrow afternoon (once the ibuprofen kicks in). We don’t even have to meet. I can drop it off at a location of your choice. Make. It. Stop.

• NatsLady - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Here, I’ll help you out. Strasburg was shut down, thus preventing the Nats from winning the 2012 World Series–their one and only chance. Debate.

23. jhaegs - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

The OTHER half of the “fans” showed up because they heard Walter White… er… I mean Heisenberg was there, and they wanted to score some of that blue meth.

Now I see why you do this, Craig. It’s fun!

24. stlunatik - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:23 PM

F*** LA bahahaaha

25. crackersnap - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Al Hrabosky called. He’s wondering what all the fuss is about?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2781)