Oct 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Last week when Dusty Baker revealed that he’d contacted the Nationals about replacing Davey Johnson as manager Craig Calcaterra speculated that general manager Mike Rizzo wouldn’t be interested because he’s looking for a non-veteran skipper.
Sure enough, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post now reports that the Nationals “have not reciprocated interest” and Baker is “not expected to be a manager candidate.”
Washington is bringing in plenty of potential candidates for interviews and Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote earlier today that at least one source thinks Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams is the clear front-runner for the job.
Baker, who was fired by the Reds despite three 90-win seasons in four years, has said all along that he wants to manage in 2014.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)