Oct 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Last week when Dusty Baker revealed that he’d contacted the Nationals about replacing Davey Johnson as manager Craig Calcaterra speculated that general manager Mike Rizzo wouldn’t be interested because he’s looking for a non-veteran skipper.
Sure enough, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post now reports that the Nationals “have not reciprocated interest” and Baker is “not expected to be a manager candidate.”
Washington is bringing in plenty of potential candidates for interviews and Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote earlier today that at least one source thinks Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams is the clear front-runner for the job.
Baker, who was fired by the Reds despite three 90-win seasons in four years, has said all along that he wants to manage in 2014.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 32
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 42
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 139
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (144)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (140)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)