Oct 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Last week when Dusty Baker revealed that he’d contacted the Nationals about replacing Davey Johnson as manager Craig Calcaterra speculated that general manager Mike Rizzo wouldn’t be interested because he’s looking for a non-veteran skipper.
Sure enough, Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post now reports that the Nationals “have not reciprocated interest” and Baker is “not expected to be a manager candidate.”
Washington is bringing in plenty of potential candidates for interviews and Buster Olney of ESPN.com wrote earlier today that at least one source thinks Diamondbacks third base coach Matt Williams is the clear front-runner for the job.
Baker, who was fired by the Reds despite three 90-win seasons in four years, has said all along that he wants to manage in 2014.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)