Oct 18, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
Hanley Ramirez has tried to play through a cracked rib, but was in obvious pain and is now out of the Dodgers’ lineup. Nick Punto is starting at shortstop and batting eighth, with Yasiel Puig moving up in the batting order to take Ramirez’s usual cleanup spot.
Cardinals manager Mike Matheny has made a bunch of changes, including benching lefty-hitting Jon Jay in favor of righty-hitting Shane Robinson in center field. Jay has been awful defensively in this series and Robinson delivered a Game 4 homer, so he gets the nod versus left-hander Clayton Kershaw. Matheny has also shifted lefty bat Matt Adams down in the order, with Yadier Molina cleaning up and David Freese batting fifth.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 0
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 70
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)