Oh, now New York politicians are getting in on the A-Rod protests

Oct 18, 2013, 8:30 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP AP

Much more of this insane stuff and I’m gonna hop off of the Team A-Rod bandwagon:

At a news conference held outside MLB’s Park Avenue offices, where Rodriguez’s appeal completed its seventh day Thursday, New York state Sen. Ruben Diaz, state Sen. Adriano Espaillat, Assemblywoman Gabriela Rosa and Hispanics Across America president Fernando Mateo went on the offensive against Selig and Yankees president Randy Levine.

“I’m here in support of Alex Rodriguez and what Fernando Mateo is trying to do, to be sure a member of our community gets justice,” said Diaz, who also is a minister and president of the New York Hispanic Clergy Organization. “I think that 211 games is unprecedented, unfair, unjust. And I think it’s discriminatory, too. I think that other people who have done worse have gotten less punishment.”

People often ask me why I care about this stuff and my answer is “well, I’m a baseball writer so if it has to do with baseball I feel like I should concern myself with it.” I have no idea what motivates state senators to get involved in this nonsense. They really and truly have better things to do.

At least I would hope they do.

1. vallewho - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:42 AM

free publicity

2. sdelmonte - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Diaz is a rather corrupt and bigoted example of the breed, best known for being anti-abortion and anti-gay marriage despite being a Democrat. Don’t know much about the others, but there aren’t many in the state legislature who count for much. This is just a publicity stunt, one that won’t gain or lose any of them a vote next year.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

A NYC Democrat who’s anti-abortion and anti-gay? Now I’ve seen everything.

Ah, well looking at his Wiki…he IS a minister. I guess that’s how he rationalizes it.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

There’s nothing rational about being a minister.

• sdelmonte - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I understand a minister having those beliefs. What really bothers me is his being a Democrat, mainly because he wants to win elections in a place where Republicans never win. Clearly, some principles outweigh others.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I believe the operant political term is “rising above principle.”

• paperlions - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Not true Gator. In many parts of society, being a minister/priest/preacher immediately puts people in a position of authority and respect. As far as I can tell, that is generally the rational behind becoming a such a thing.

• skids003 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM

The tax breaks is how he rationalizes it.

3. manute - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM

They must have heard about the hookers.

• ilovegspot - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:12 PM

They though they would be there too.

4. umrguy42 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I still want to know – is MLB actually holding fast on “211 games”, or are they going “through the end of the 2014 season”, which is how I thought it was worded.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM

It’s not 211 games, and never was. The 211 games was from people reading the statement that he was suspended for the remainder of ’13 and all of ’14 and doing the math. The problem with saying it was 211 games is that if the Yanks made the playoffs in either/both years, it’d be far more than 211 games.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

if his penalty is upheld in its entirety, now that he’s played 2013 during his appeal, how many games would he be suspended for from that point forward? seems arbitrarly vague

5. chip56 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM

A few reasons a politician would get involved in this:

1. (S)He wants the support that this Fernando Mateo can possibly deliver in “get out the vote” campaigns in Hispanic communities when they seek re-election or election to higher office.

2. They want to be able to some day turn to Alex and say “I supported your efforts against MLB and Bud Selig, would you mind doing some fundraising events with me?”

3. Ain’t no such thing as bad PR.

6. cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Thanks Selig. Now we have this. I bet he wishes NOW he’d stuck to the JDA. Grandstanding dumbass.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Yep, A-roid’s ridiculous suspension is Bud’s very own “defund Obamacare” debacle. No matter what happens – even if he wins this – all he’s done while trying to look like the decontaminator of MLB is reminded everyone how he sat with his thumbs up his rump for years, winking at the problem while steroids-fueled offense jacked attendance.

• chip56 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Bud Selig doesn’t give a crap sandwich about some grandstanding politicians accusing him of racial bias.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

You’re right. Only the most acutely addled political correctness freaks could take the racial bias accusations seriously, but for people like that, if the accusations didn’t exist it would be necessary to invent them. On the other hand, from all available evidence Bud does care very much about his…oh, I do hate this word…legacy. Even the most ludicrous accusations – in fact, especially the most ludicrous accusations – have a way of adhering to a legacy. These accusations have tiny little hairs on their toes, like the ones on a gecko. They cling to everything. Bud’s legacy is already infested with his history of accommodating juice, such that, despite his delusions, he’ll always be remembered as the guy who presided over the most shameful distortions of the game’s hallowed records. That reality already affords these grandstanding hacks a receptive surface upon which to fasten their nonsensical innuendos. Bud may or may not give a crap about them, but like the pigeon shit on his statue out front of Miller Park, they’re going to follow him to his grave whether he wants to acknowledge it or not.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I know there has been some public support for ARod as a means of backlash against Selig, but is aligning oneself with ARod really a good political strategy? Isn’t that kind of like being in “Ted Cruz’ inner circle” at this point? Seems like a dubious distinction politicians might want to avoid. At least until the details of MLB’s evidence against him come out.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM

My fellow Canadian, Ted Cruz seems to be a first rate jerk. A-Rod also seems to be a first rate jerk. They belong n the same paragraph.

Wonder how much A-Rod has promised to contribute to the political campaigns of those individuals?

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I suspect that the upside lies not in aligning “with A-roid” but in aligning against Bud Light. Don’t underestimate how widely derided and even detested Bud is outside the “inner circle” of baseball owners.

8. joestemme - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

F#$K A-Roid and his sympathizing politicians.

9. deathmonkey41 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I’m considering becoming a minister- but only if I can write off my recliner as a place of worship and my Ketel One as the blood of Christ.

10. anotheryx - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

As someone who hates Yankees, I just wish A Rod beats the suspention, preferably when he is 47.

11. yousuxxors - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

weren’t most of the players suspended Hispanic?

Three legends off to Cooperstown