Oct 18, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
Taylor Guerrieri, a pitching prospect who was the Rays’ first-round pick in 2011, has been suspended 50 games after testing positive for a drug of abuse. It was his second violation and Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the drug is believed to be marijuana.
He’ll start serving the 50-game suspension at the beginning of next season, but it’s essentially meaningless because he’s expected to miss most of the year following Tommy John elbow surgery anyway.
Coming into this season Guerrieri was a top-100 prospect according to both Baseball America and MLB.com and he was fantastic at Single-A before being shut down, throwing 67 innings with a 2.01 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio at age 20.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (99)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)