Oct 18, 2013, 12:00 AM EDT
The Red Sox are within one game of the World Series.
Mike Napoli went 3-for-4 with a long run home run and Koji Uehara locked down a five-out save as the Red Sox topped the Tigers 4-3 in Game 5 of the ALCS at Comerica Park this evening. Boston now has a 3-2 edge in the series. Four out of the five games have been decided by one run.
While Anibal Sanchez tossed six hitless innings back in Game 1, the Red Sox got to him for four runs (three earned) over six innings this time around. He gave up three of them in the second inning, including a 460-foot blast from Napoli. The fourth run scored on a wild pitch from Sanchez in the third inning. It was just enough for the Red Sox to hang on.
Jon Lester gave up two runs on seven hits and three walks over 5 1/3 innings in the victory. The Tigers had their share of chances to make things interesting, but they had rallies spoiled in the sixth and seventh innings due to double plays. Uehara retired all five batters he faced to end it, throwing 27 pitches in the process. It was just his second five-out save of the year.
The best-of-seven series will resume Saturday afternoon at Fenway Park. Max Scherzer will be tasked with keeping the Tigers’ season alive while Clay Buchholz will attempt to pitch Boston to their first World Series appearance since 2007.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)