Oct 18, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Nolan Ryan was a pretty good source for Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram:
So there you go. And there goes Nolan Ryan, gone for good. Backstabbing and ego trips won out, and a state of Texas legend is forced out. Give it up for Jon Daniels, the general manager who successfully hijacked the Texas Rangers, and as of Thursday officially, became the baseball god of Arlington.
He adds that “the geek element of fandom will cheer on Daniels” while most fans — real fans, I assume he believes — will lament Nolan Ryan leaving. He says a “kill-shot” was fired at Ryan too, so he’s not being dramatic or anything.
I would love for Galloway and the real fans to point out the different moves made by Nolan Ryan vs. Jon Daniels in an effort to actually explain who did what better and why. Because if they can’t, I’d dare say that this is about emotion and attitude and — quite possibly — friendship between the reporter and the figure being reported on rather than it being about baseball merit.
Or maybe I’m wrong. I mean, we see temper tantrums like this from professional sports columnists in the wake of personnel moves all the time, right?
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 54
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)