Oct 18, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Nolan Ryan was a pretty good source for Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram:
So there you go. And there goes Nolan Ryan, gone for good. Backstabbing and ego trips won out, and a state of Texas legend is forced out. Give it up for Jon Daniels, the general manager who successfully hijacked the Texas Rangers, and as of Thursday officially, became the baseball god of Arlington.
He adds that “the geek element of fandom will cheer on Daniels” while most fans — real fans, I assume he believes — will lament Nolan Ryan leaving. He says a “kill-shot” was fired at Ryan too, so he’s not being dramatic or anything.
I would love for Galloway and the real fans to point out the different moves made by Nolan Ryan vs. Jon Daniels in an effort to actually explain who did what better and why. Because if they can’t, I’d dare say that this is about emotion and attitude and — quite possibly — friendship between the reporter and the figure being reported on rather than it being about baseball merit.
Or maybe I’m wrong. I mean, we see temper tantrums like this from professional sports columnists in the wake of personnel moves all the time, right?
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 13
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)