Oct 18, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Nolan Ryan was a pretty good source for Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram:
So there you go. And there goes Nolan Ryan, gone for good. Backstabbing and ego trips won out, and a state of Texas legend is forced out. Give it up for Jon Daniels, the general manager who successfully hijacked the Texas Rangers, and as of Thursday officially, became the baseball god of Arlington.
He adds that “the geek element of fandom will cheer on Daniels” while most fans — real fans, I assume he believes — will lament Nolan Ryan leaving. He says a “kill-shot” was fired at Ryan too, so he’s not being dramatic or anything.
I would love for Galloway and the real fans to point out the different moves made by Nolan Ryan vs. Jon Daniels in an effort to actually explain who did what better and why. Because if they can’t, I’d dare say that this is about emotion and attitude and — quite possibly — friendship between the reporter and the figure being reported on rather than it being about baseball merit.
Or maybe I’m wrong. I mean, we see temper tantrums like this from professional sports columnists in the wake of personnel moves all the time, right?
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)