Oct 18, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Nolan Ryan was a pretty good source for Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram:
So there you go. And there goes Nolan Ryan, gone for good. Backstabbing and ego trips won out, and a state of Texas legend is forced out. Give it up for Jon Daniels, the general manager who successfully hijacked the Texas Rangers, and as of Thursday officially, became the baseball god of Arlington.
He adds that “the geek element of fandom will cheer on Daniels” while most fans — real fans, I assume he believes — will lament Nolan Ryan leaving. He says a “kill-shot” was fired at Ryan too, so he’s not being dramatic or anything.
I would love for Galloway and the real fans to point out the different moves made by Nolan Ryan vs. Jon Daniels in an effort to actually explain who did what better and why. Because if they can’t, I’d dare say that this is about emotion and attitude and — quite possibly — friendship between the reporter and the figure being reported on rather than it being about baseball merit.
Or maybe I’m wrong. I mean, we see temper tantrums like this from professional sports columnists in the wake of personnel moves all the time, right?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)