Oct 18, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
Athletics starter Sonny Gray underwent thumb surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, per Susan Slusser. The right-hander had a screw inserted to stabilize the fracture, suffered in his Game 5 loss to the Tigers in the ALDS.
Slusser says Gray should be ready to go when spring training arrives in February.
Gray became one of the Athletics’ most reliable starters after making his Major League debut on July 10. He wrapped up the regular season with a 2.67 ERA in 64 innings over 12 starts. He then outdueled Justin Verlander in Game 2 of the ALDS, tossing eight shutout frames as his Athletics went on to win 1-0. The A’s called on him in the fifth and final game of the ALDS but he wasn’t as effective, allowing three runs in five innings, as the Athletics were ultimately pushed out of ALCS contention.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)