Oct 18, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
Athletics starter Sonny Gray underwent thumb surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, per Susan Slusser. The right-hander had a screw inserted to stabilize the fracture, suffered in his Game 5 loss to the Tigers in the ALDS.
Slusser says Gray should be ready to go when spring training arrives in February.
Gray became one of the Athletics’ most reliable starters after making his Major League debut on July 10. He wrapped up the regular season with a 2.67 ERA in 64 innings over 12 starts. He then outdueled Justin Verlander in Game 2 of the ALDS, tossing eight shutout frames as his Athletics went on to win 1-0. The A’s called on him in the fifth and final game of the ALDS but he wasn’t as effective, allowing three runs in five innings, as the Athletics were ultimately pushed out of ALCS contention.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (75)