The Cardinals clinch their ticket to the World Series with Game 6 victory over the Dodgers

Oct 18, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT

NLCS - Los Angeles Dodgers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

The Cardinals provided starter Michael Wacha with a big ol’ pile of runs but he sure didn’t need it. The 22-year-old right-hander continued to show poise and dominance with seven shutout innings, out-dueling presumptive NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw in the process. Wacha finished with a line that read: 7 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K. He lowered his career post-season ERA to 0.43 in 21 innings, and has yet to allow more than one run in any playoff start.

Kershaw wasn’t his usual dominant self, laboring through a third inning in which the Cardinals asserted themselves. They batted around, hitting a trio of run-scoring singles and seeing 48 pitches as they went up 4-0. They put the game out of reach in the fifth inning, scoring five more times to go up 9-0. From there, the Cardinals were counting outs.

Carlos Martinez tossed a perfect eighth inning to bridge the gap to closer Trevor Rosenthal. Rosenthal retired pinch-hitter Michael Young, Carl Crawford, and Mark Ellis to wrap up the ninth inning and the NLCS to send the Cardinals to the World Series. Molina and Rosenthal met each other halfway between the mound and home plate and embraced before the dugout cleared in jubilation.

The Cardinals will play the winner of the ALCS between the Red Sox and Tigers. Games 1 and 2 of the World Series will be played at an American League park, so the Cardinals will have to wait to purchase their plane tickets. Game 1 opens on Wednesday night, with the Cardinals enjoying four full days of rest.

1. savior72 - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Thanks La for a great series and not killing any of our fans. CARDS NATION!

• mkprz - Oct 19, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Well, taking out Ramirez was close to Dodger violence.
      Rookie pitcher trying to make a name and show some ‘sac’, did it intentionally.
      Not to break a rib, but to hit him and make a statement to their best hitter.
      I just can’t believe the Dodgers didn’t offer pay back
      When you get to talk to ex-Major League pitchers, you get to hear the dirt of MLB
      He did it on purpose.
      Regardless, the Cards were the better team when it counted.

• blacksables - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Lot’s of mental health professionals in Los Angles. Just ask. Help is there.

• cincinata - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

MKPRZ:
        Before commenting on these blogs, please learn something about the game. Pitching inside to hitters is an important part of keeping the batter off the plate and so your low outside pitch can be a strike out pitch. In addition, the pitcher does not want the hitter to be comfortable in the box, and keep him guessing, which keeps your pitches more successful. No one tries to hit the batter in these circumstances. If a pitcher has problems in throwing inside and hits batters all of the time, then he has no business pitching in this league. That is not the problem here. One batter was hit. He had control of his inside pitches through the game except for this once.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Still hanging your hat on an intentional pitch huh? In a playoff game…with the Pitcher up in the count no less. Wow. How can that possibly make you feel better? Fabricating bullshit makes you feel better? How? Seriously. How?

• Anoesis - Oct 19, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Thanks, savior, for showing all the class your base has ever had.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Please don’t hold it against all of us. It was a hard fought series. And I fully anticipate you guys being in the thick of things next year.

2. cabrera24 - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Hey cusack I believe chris carpenter was on the 2004 cardinals roster .

• cohnjusack - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:10 AM

The only players to appear on the 2004 Cardinals to play in 2013 are Yadi, Pujols, Dan Haren, Jason Marquis and Rick Ankiel.

Ahem, I should say “played at the Major League Level in 2013″. I’m sure many of them played in minors/semi-pro ball/played catch with their kids. I didn’t realize I had to qualify it to that degree. My apologies!

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Man…your Cardinals hate is something fierce Miquel. If I didn’t know any better I would think you were an AL fan. Yet…you claim to be a Phillies fan. It’s hard for me to wrap my head around that.

3. jhaegs - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:53 AM

A look back on some memorable quotes on Puig (mostly by Dodgers fans)…

Cabrera24
    “I love the way he plays the game . I love the energy he brings to the field everyday . I love his attitude . I play baseball everyday and I think that’s how baseball should be play. I love the hustle and that’s baseball ….. YOU GUYS JUST NEED TO STOP HATING ON THE GUY MAN.”

abxyer
    “You dont want him to showboat? Either bean his ass right on the ribs with a 96 mph heater or dont pitch him anything or strike him out, but if he gets a hold of one…..he should showboat all he wants, this is a league for the FANS. Fans want to see that, so showboat for your FANS!”

jc4455
    “Right. Puig does actual to harm his team. He should stop doing that.”

ilovegspot (seriously?)
    “All you losers need to kiss a girl someday. What a bunck of fuckin babies posting her. Leave the kid alone and let him enjoy himself.”

Patrick
    “He may make mistakes and mental errors, and he may demonstrate noticeably more verve and enthusiasm for the game (I would argue that he doesn’t, at least not any more so than some white players, Hunter Pence comes to mind), but PLEASE some one, any one, show me an instance where he DEFINITIVELY “disrespected the game.”

4. jhaegs - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Wonder if they still feel the same.

• jya87 - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:15 AM

jhaegs, hard to believe you sifted through the comments to gloat. Why don’t you celebrate the “W” and move on?

Asking how Dodger fans feel about Puig is probably like asking Boston fans how they felt about Manny Ramirez in his heyday. Not sure if Puig’s bat is ever going to play like Manny’s roided bat did, but you take the good with the bad and hope that there’s less of the bad as time goes on.

On that note, for your viewing pleasure, Johnny Damon joking about Manny’s cutoff: http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=13103953

• Anoesis - Oct 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thanks, jhaegs, for showing all the class your base has ever had.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

(west) L.A. fade away,
        Little red light on a highway,
        Big green light on a speedway.

5. jhaegs - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM

@jya87

IF there are anymore LA fans lurking around here, they’re most likely trying to start trouble or complain. I didn’t have to sift- I know a comment that will blow up in someone’s face when I see one, so I log it in my notes. I thought it was a thoughtful memento that we could all reflect on… My bad!

• emdash01 - Oct 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM

…you keep a log of comments here that you don’t like? Oh, honey, no.

6. cardslifer - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Great NLCS. Thanks Dodgers for some truly great games!!

As for the antagonizing remarks, I hope you can weed out the trolls.

Thanks again for great and NLCS!

7. mkprz - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Dodger talent was higher in my view.
    They were simply out-coached.
    Dodgers should have had the Cardinals in five.
    Poor decision making cost them the series

• emykk - Oct 19, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Um, if the Dodgers had more talent, then explain how the Cardinals managed to have a better record (the best record, in fact) while playing in the hardest NL division, and how they managed to beat the Pirates (a better team than the Dodgers, in my honest opinion). Just face the facts. The Cardinals have a lot of rookie talent, especially when it comes to pitching. I am tired of hearing how the Cardinals only win because a team with more talent flopped. The Cardinals won the NL pennant because the Cardinals are the best team this year in the NL.

8. istallion - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Dodgers fan here- congratulations to Cards and their great fans. For what it’s worth- I’d rather watch my team lose 9-0 than 1-0.

• owentheblonde - Oct 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Thanks and congratulations on having a heck of a run and putting up a great fight in the series. Winning 3 of 4 against Kershaw and Greinke just doesn’t really happen, so easily could have been the Dodgers moving on. I’m guessing we’ll see you again in the playoffs in the next few years.

• jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Kershaw deserved more than 2 Dodger hits.

9. jimeejohnson - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Dodgers just weren’t as good as they thought they were, but now that their young guns have playoff experience I think they will compete for a championship again next year.

• alan3008 - Oct 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

All that money spent and they lost. Good season though.

Unless the Reds are playing, I always root for the team with the lowest payroll, so I am damn glad the Cards won. Hope Detroit does the same and the Cards win it all. Screw these teams that try to buy the World Series every year. I LMAO when they lose, especially the Yankees.
      Payrolls:
      Los Angeles Dodgers $216,302,909 (the Yankees of the west)
      Boston $158,967,286
      Detroit $149,046,844
      St. Louis $116,702,085

Oh, and just for sh!ts:
      Houston: $24,328,538 – The New York Yankees, at $228,995,945, is 9.4 times higher than Houston.

10. alan3008 - Oct 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

…”so the Cardinals will have to wait to purchase their plane tickets.”

What? Something tells me they have their own plane or charter a flight. No tickets needed, dimwit. This isn’t the 1960’s.

11. pcon68 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

The Cardinals are a great organization..No denying that. But nobody outside of St. Louis really cares about the Cards.
    FOX will have horrible numbers for the WS. Only hope for halfway decent ratings is for Boston to get in.
    Sorry..It’s the truth.

• paperlions - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Nobody anywhere cares about series ratings.

• pcon68 - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Says the Cards fan..

• paperlions - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Fine. Find me anyone that really does care. National TV ratings mean nothing to fans.

World Series TV ratings have been declining for a long time regardless of who plays in the games. Boston or NY being in the series would represent a relatively tiny boost in ratings.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM

No, true baseball fans don’t care about ratings. The World Series is not exactly in imminent danger of not being televised. The people that actually LIKE the sport will watch the Series regardless of who’s playing. The bandwagon jumpers/casual fans? Fuck ‘em if they don’t want to watch. Their loss.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Nobody outside of St. Louis huh? I am from the southside of Indy. Paper lives in goshdamned Connecticut. You think maybe…just maybe…this might have something to do with all the tickets that are sold at the Cardinals away games? Just maybe?

12. jhaegs - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I live 20min south of STL… I care about STL. :(

13. materialman80 - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM

The Dodgers had a good season but the best team won. St. Louis has a tradition of excellence and it showed again this year.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (1941)