Oct 18, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
The Cardinals provided starter Michael Wacha with a big ol’ pile of runs but he sure didn’t need it. The 22-year-old right-hander continued to show poise and dominance with seven shutout innings, out-dueling presumptive NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw in the process. Wacha finished with a line that read: 7 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 1 BB, 5 K. He lowered his career post-season ERA to 0.43 in 21 innings, and has yet to allow more than one run in any playoff start.
Kershaw wasn’t his usual dominant self, laboring through a third inning in which the Cardinals asserted themselves. They batted around, hitting a trio of run-scoring singles and seeing 48 pitches as they went up 4-0. They put the game out of reach in the fifth inning, scoring five more times to go up 9-0. From there, the Cardinals were counting outs.
Carlos Martinez tossed a perfect eighth inning to bridge the gap to closer Trevor Rosenthal. Rosenthal retired pinch-hitter Michael Young, Carl Crawford, and Mark Ellis to wrap up the ninth inning and the NLCS to send the Cardinals to the World Series. Molina and Rosenthal met each other halfway between the mound and home plate and embraced before the dugout cleared in jubilation.
The Cardinals will play the winner of the ALCS between the Red Sox and Tigers. Games 1 and 2 of the World Series will be played at an American League park, so the Cardinals will have to wait to purchase their plane tickets. Game 1 opens on Wednesday night, with the Cardinals enjoying four full days of rest.
Sep 23, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
The Braves could’ve fired their manager, but didn’t. Why?
Sep 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“I wouldn’t be afraid to use him at any point in the game, really.”
Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
The Tigers can’t beat out the Orioles now, so the O’s will start the playoffs at home.
Sep 23, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
But signing a guy to a multi-year deal after his first above average year in seven seasons is not exactly a winning move.
Sep 23, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
No matter what happens to him for the rest of his life, Guilder Rodriguez can say he was a major leaguer.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
Great Moments in Security Theater
Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 AM EDT
Really, I can’t make any sense of this.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
With 180 innings pitched, Dan Haren’s $10 million option kicked in.
Sep 23, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
He has won 19 or 20 games four times in his last five seasons.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
Get your tall boots on, boys, because the Braves president is shoveling.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Hitting the cutoff man is overrated
Sep 23, 2014, 6:29 AM EDT
Twelve games, six shutouts. And the Mariners and Indians lose ground.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
Jeter has caught fire with only days remaining in his career.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Danny Duffy tossed six scoreless innings in his return from left rotator cuff inflammation.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Sergio Romo and Shawon Dunston “exchanged heated words with raised voices” before Bruce Bochy intervened.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Shoemaker came out of nowhere to go 16-4 with a 3.07 ERA and 124/24 K/BB ratio in 136 innings as a 27-year-old rookie, including a 9-1 record and 1.49 ERA in 67 innings since late July.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Tomas, 23, could reportedly command a $100 million contract.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
Former major league pitcher and current player agent Dave Stewart is viewed as the overwhelming favorite for the job.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Rough day for the Wren family.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)