Oct 18, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
Post-season legend Carlos Beltran staked the Cardinals to an early lead in the top of the third with a line drive RBI single to center against Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw. The opportunity was set up by Cardinals second baseman Matt Carpenter, who worked an 11-pitch at-bat — including seven consecutive foul balls — against Kershaw before lacing a double down the right field line. Beltran went ahead in the count 2-1 before taking a fastball back up the middle. He advanced to second on the play.
After Matt Holliday struck out, Yadier Molina kept the rally going, lining a Kershaw curve to left-center for an RBI single, pushing the Cardinal lead to 2-0. Kershaw then fell behind David Freese, who singled up the middle. Matt Adams drew a walk to load the bases. Shane Robinson — starting in place of the besieged Jon Jay — hit a seeing-eye single to right field, scoring Molina to push it to 4-0.
The Cardinals made Kershaw labor in the third, seeing a total of 48 pitches. They saw 18 and 15 pitches in the first and second innings, respectively. The Dodgers certainly didn’t expect their ace to need 81 pitches to get through three innings.
With a 3-2 series lead in the NLCS, the Cardinals are enjoying how Game 6 has gone thus far.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)