Oct 18, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
Post-season legend Carlos Beltran staked the Cardinals to an early lead in the top of the third with a line drive RBI single to center against Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw. The opportunity was set up by Cardinals second baseman Matt Carpenter, who worked an 11-pitch at-bat — including seven consecutive foul balls — against Kershaw before lacing a double down the right field line. Beltran went ahead in the count 2-1 before taking a fastball back up the middle. He advanced to second on the play.
After Matt Holliday struck out, Yadier Molina kept the rally going, lining a Kershaw curve to left-center for an RBI single, pushing the Cardinal lead to 2-0. Kershaw then fell behind David Freese, who singled up the middle. Matt Adams drew a walk to load the bases. Shane Robinson — starting in place of the besieged Jon Jay — hit a seeing-eye single to right field, scoring Molina to push it to 4-0.
The Cardinals made Kershaw labor in the third, seeing a total of 48 pitches. They saw 18 and 15 pitches in the first and second innings, respectively. The Dodgers certainly didn’t expect their ace to need 81 pitches to get through three innings.
With a 3-2 series lead in the NLCS, the Cardinals are enjoying how Game 6 has gone thus far.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 22
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 37
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 138
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)