The Mets find a new radio home

Oct 18, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT

mets logo

The Mets lost their longtime radio home, WFAN, to the Yankees for the 2014 season. But they have landed on their feet:

MLB sources said the team has reached an agreement in principle with Clear Channel Media, owner of WOR, on a multi-year package. An announcement of the deal could come next week. Clear Channel will have the right to select the announcers. Sources said the only decision already made on that front is to bring Howie Rose, the veteran play-by-play voice, back to the booth.

Hopefully they keep Josh Lewin too — and the article suggests they will — as he’s one of the best.

The team will apparently make more money on this radio deal than they did with WFAN, which paid them $7 million a year for radio broadcast rights.

1. Last Road Reviews - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Good and next hopefully they find new owners and better players

2. gregbeau - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:03 PM

WOR is a historic station in NYC and has broadcast baseball a number of seasons over the years, including I believe the Brooklyn Dodgers way back when. Good move for the Mets.

3. nickp91 - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM

The Mets had been a money-loser for WFAN in recent seasons

4. DJ MC - Oct 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I remember when Josh Lewin was just a talk-show host on WBAL in Baltimore. Then he moved on to Texas and FOX, and I used to get excited when his game was broadcast here.

I’m always glad to see him doing well.

• normcash - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I think Lewin is OK…when he did Tigers TV with Kirk Gibson for 3 years, he wasn’t good at all—they had a jock vs. nerd bit going that was amusing for about 5 minutes…used to drive me nuts!
      In Texas his problem for that market was his constant pop culture references which went over
      the heads of his partner, Tom Grieve, and probably most of his audience over the age of 25.
      Seems to have found a better approach in NY…he’s a Northwestern grad, so I’m rooting for
      him…Go ‘Cats!

5. howiekap - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:39 AM

the best TV team in the USA is Gary Cohen and Ron Darling
    Keep them or lose me

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4105)