Oct 18, 2013, 11:05 AM EST
John Fay — who doesn’t engage in wild speculation — reports that the Reds could shop second baseman Brandon Phillips this winter. He cites the Reds’ interest in Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero as one suggestion that they’re willing to move past Phillips. The second reason is more personal:
Phillips ticked off a lot of people in the organization with his behavior this year. Bob Castellini was the driving force behind Phillips signing. Phillips basically called Castellini a liar in the Cincinnati Magazine article … Phillips slapped the wrong guy in the face by saying that.
Given that offensive production was just average this year — Phillips was seventh in OPS among National League second basemen — the Reds could get similar offense for a lot less money.
Phillips has four years and $50 million on his contract and — RBIs notwithstanding — is coming off his worst offensive year in some time. So yes, they could get that offense for less money. But who takes that offense — and that contract — from Cincy?
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 284
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (285)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)