There was a great little baseball thing on “Parks and Recreation” last night

Oct 18, 2013, 7:49 AM EST

You may or may not know that the co-creator and producer of NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” is Michael Schur. You may or may not know that Schur is also known as “Ken Tremendous” one of the minds behind the late, great “Fire Joe Morgan” website, which made it its mission to mock baseball broadcasters and writers who overvalued grit, The Will to Win and David Eckstein, not necessarily in that order.

I’m not sure how much of a day-to-day hand Schur still has in “Parks and Recreation,” but if he was not responsible for this law office sign which briefly appeared in last night’s episode, it certainly is there in part because of his influence:

In case you need a refresher course, follow the links: BABIP, VORP, PECOTA, David Eckstein.

1. jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Was a wonderful shout-out to baseball fans. Also it’s a fantastic show and everyone should watch it. Sam Elliott was on it last week and he was crazmazing.

Keith Law also graciously accepted the multiple and not at all normal instances of the word “Law”(tongue obviously in cheek).

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I think “fantastic” might be pushing it. The Office was far better, at least as long as Steve Carell was there. It’s OK. This sign is really amusing, though.

• beefytrout - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Parks & Rec is fantastic.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Yep, still pushing it.

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

If the Harvest Festival didn’t melt your heart with joy and wonder, I don’t know what will.

• realitypolice - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

So no show other that “The Office While Steve Carrell Was There” can ever be classified as fantastic? Sorry, “Parks and Rec Even Without Steve Carrell” is fantastic.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Your reading comprehension isn’t great. I in no way said that. I just don’t think Parks and Rec is as great as you do. C’est la vie.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The snake juice episode was one of the best things I’ve ever seen on television.

Parks and Rec inspired me to create my own DJ Rumba.

• notaretard - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

@bfunk

based on the stats so far (7 people who have liked your claim that park sand rec is overrated vs 88 who don’t), i’m going to go ahead and say that your claim that’s it not fantastic is pushing it, not the other way around

• bfunk1978 - Oct 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Meh. Like pitching wins, TV ratings get the money but have little bearing on actual quality. Even Scott Brosius was popular among Yankees fans for a time, so I don’t think we have any sort of quantifiable attributes to compare, so we’ll leave it as a matter of taste. And I think it tastes OK but not great.

• lifeform - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

“crazmazing”? As Ron Swanson might say, “That’s not a word, son.”

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:19 PM

It’s a reference to the previous week’s episode. I promise that I would never use it with a straight face.

2. vallewho - Oct 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Scrappy Doo….enough said.

3. aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

That’s awesome.

Never watched a single episode though. I’ll get around to Netflixing it eventually…it looks like an excellent comedy, and I love Amy Poehler and Nick Offerman.

• beefytrout - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

if you love Nick Offerman, then you are missing out here. Last night was a prime example of the greatness of Ron Swanson.

“I wouldn’t lose to a boar.”

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

“The man who kills me will understand.”

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM

“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard.”

• beefytrout - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM

“I worry you misunderstood me. What I said was – give me ALL the bacon and eggs you have.”

“Why are other people so bad at eating?”

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The first season is a bit rough, but you have to watch it anyways. It finds its groove in season 2 and never really looks back.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The first season started off slow, and Amy’s character came off appearing like a ditzy blonde. Once the second season started, things got really good.

4. Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I’m delighted to know that Craig has alternative motives for watching that low-simmering cauldron of predictable network sitcom pap. For a while there I was afraid he really thought it was clever or funny.

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

You are thinking of the wrong show, Gator.

• Old Gator - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Nope. You young whippersnappers just wasn’t around when Sid Ceasar and Jack Benny did all this stuff first and better. I’ve been trapped on American Airlines flights often enough with these so-called “groundbreaking” sitcoms repeating themselves unto the erosion potential locked in the raindrop on the dropdown screen. If you had tied me up like Alex in Clockwork Orange, drizzled Murine on my eyeballs and forced me to watch that awful show (and/or Everybody Loves Raymond or The Orifice with that gelatinous simulacrum of a personality, Steve Carell – or any of the other programs with which airlines torture their passengers so that their baggage, seat location or pillow and blanket fees won’t seem so miserable by comparison), it wouldn’t have been one iota more or less boring than it already was. Thank Buddha for GoGoInflight and my George Carlin downloads.

5. wintwins - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Someone pointed out on Twitter that the P is going into the V.
    A little juvenille humor to go along with the nerdy reference or completely unintentional?

6. largebill - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Craig,

Saw that last night and tried to explain the inside joke to my wife. Emphasis on tried. I was laughing at the law firm sign and she couldn’t care less. She did perk up when I added that Ken Tremendous is Regis Philbin’s son-in-law.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2719)
  2. W. Myers (2453)
  3. C. McGehee (2071)
  4. D. Ross (2047)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1925)
  1. J. Shields (1806)