We’ve reached a low point in the contrived St. Louis-Los Angeles culture war

Oct 18, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT

Image (1) Cardinals%20logo.jpg for post 4972

Are there differences between the Dodgers and the Cardinals? Sure. We’ve noted the little on-the-field dustups and have talked a lot about the whole “Best Fans in Baseball” thing.  It’s been an amusing aside.

But even if you’re critical of the Cardinals, you must admit that the notion that St. Louis represents some higher plane of dignified and respectful baseball (and that any reasonable people in St. Louis actually think this) is a silly caricature. Yes, there are examples of people who think that way, but they’re outliers I assume. It’s mostly a straw man used to beat up on Cardinals Nation. It’s not a different brand or class of baseball in St. Louis. It’s not a different brand or class of fan. They’re like everyone else.

But I’ll be damned if some people aren’t still trying to push that narrative. To the point of couching it as something akin to a culture war. As an example I give you today’s column from Bob Nightengale of USA Today. In which he talks to Stan Musial’s grandson and both of them seem to agree that St. Louis Cardinals baseball is all that separates dignified society from invading hordes:

This isn’t just about flying another pennant in their stadium – their fourth in 10 years – or having the opportunity to win their 12th World Series championship. It’s about the responsibility of upholding tradition. It’s for old-time baseball.

What follows is a bunch of quotes from Musial’s grandson about how the game ought to be played and was played back when men were men and all of that.  Stan Musial’s grandson is 32 years-old, by the way. What an expert on tradition and old-time baseball.

But what’s even sillier are the examples Nightengale trots out to cast Cardinals baseball in a more dignified light:

They’d like to know if everything, even the crowd noise, have to be fake in Southern California. Do fans really have to be instructed when to scream as if they’re a game-show audience? Can’t anything on the scoreboard be shown besides fans acting crazy, dance contests, and kiss cams?

Yeah, none of that in St. Louis:

source:

source:

I’ll grant that, I’m told anyway, that the Cardinals don’t do much of the “LET’S MAKE SOME NOISE!” stuff. Which is a good thing.  But they clearly are not different or above most other parks when it comes to fun stuff. It isn’t just stark videos of Bob Gibson threatening people to behave lest he put a pitch in their ear.

Again, none of this is to criticize Cardinals fans. They’re like anyone else. And like anyone else, they have some people in their ranks that make you want to roll your eyes.  But for the most part they’re just baseball fans.

But the media narrative of a Dodgers-Cardinals culture war is beyond played out by now, to the point where it is becoming both ridiculous and, with this column, totally counterfactual. Enough already.

114 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. manifunk - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Not to mention the fact that, for the first 6 years of his career, “playing the game the right way” for Stan Musial and other MLBers meant that no black people were allowed to play.

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ha! Nothing more needs to be said.

• timbo08 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

So Stan Musial should have forced the MLB to allow black players? Also Stan was very good friends with #42 by the way.

• yahmule - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Yes, that was his point exactly. You’re quite perceptive.

• skids003 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I don’t think that was Stan’s fault.

• okwhitefalcon - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:37 PM

As usual, Blogger in Chief misses the most telling part of Nightengale’s article..

This is much more important than perpetuating a false angle:

“Schwarze, who went to Los Angeles with three of his buddies to watch Games 3 and 4, couldn’t even enjoy being a regular fan.

Schwarze wore his jersey with Musial stitched across the back, at Dodger Stadium. He wouldn’t have minded good-natured ribbing from Dodgers fans, but the reaction he received, he said, bordered on horrific.

“I walked through the parking lot, and people were yelling at me,” Schwarze said, “saying they were going to kill me.

“People kept telling me, ‘You better take that (expletive) thing off.’ People were throwing popcorn, and one guy even tried to trip my buddy as he walked up the aisle.

“Can you imagine that happening in St. Louis? There were even two police officers on horses in the parking lot looking for trouble. One of the officers said, ‘You OK? I said, “Yeah, except for everyone hassling me.

“And they just laughed.”

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I really don’t believe that story. In fact, without verification, it just becomes another Tall Tale that good old Schwarze happens to be telling.

• saints97 - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Right, Koufax. Like anything bad ever happens to someone wearing the other team’s jersey in that stadium or its parking lot.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 18, 2013 at 5:57 PM

But Falcon…if he included the most telling part of the article that could possibly lend context to Schwarze’s comments thereby making it less interesting.

• materialman80 - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM

And that’s Stan’s fault? If you know anything about Stan, you would know he welcomed black players with open arms, unlike many in the Majors at that time. The ‘playing the game the right way” statement had nothing to do with race, so let’s not make it into something it isn’t like happens so much today.

2. jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I am from Southern California and live in Iowa now and find that people are more or less the same. This idea that the midwest is hard-workin’ folk who love God and country and modesty as opposed to coastal, fake liberals is ridiculous.

People here wave hello more. That’s about it. And sausage-waving over who has more legitimate fans or a more authentic baseball experience is stupid.

• sportsdrenched - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I think it’s fun and amusing. It’s why sports is sports.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I actually wave hello with my sausage.

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Explains your limited housing market.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I call it “mating call of the depressed Midwesterner”

• cincinata - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:15 PM

If you are trying to sell us on the fact that people in SoCal are the same as in Iowa, you must be stupid. I worked in the Iowa area for 10 years, and I can tell you your entire comments are a lot of BS. There is almost no comparison, culturally or other wise.

• crackersnap - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM

As the Rockman said to Oblio: “You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.”

California and Iowa and anywhere else have the same variety of people. But due to the massively larger population size, California will have a larger number of asshats than Iowa, and a larger number of flakes, and a larger number thugs. But, for the same reason, California will also have a larger number of friendly folk (a larger number of farmers too, for the record).

It’s harder to find the thugs in Iowa but, if your mind is open, it’s possible to find a larger quantity of friendly people in California.

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Sure thing. I lived in California for 20 years and now in Iowa for 11.

Maybe it’s because i generally lived in blue-collar areas (I know there’s a difference between Newport and Des Moines), but when we’re talking regular Joes and Janes, there isn’t a large difference in overall demeanor. Some things are different, but people on a basic level aren’t a different breed than the ones I grew up with.

3. babyfarkmcgeezax - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Craig is a disgrace to humanity, spawned from the depths of God Shamgod’s asshole.

• homelanddefense - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM

As a fan of the Providence College Friars I will applaud you for your God Shamgod reference, even though it is horribly out of place.

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Do fuck off. There’s a good chap.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Brian McCann is 29, so I suppose Grandkid Musial has more claim to “old school” than MLB’s current “Old school Sheriff”

• chadjones27 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Is Cole Hamels his deputy?

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Human sacrifice, Braves and Phillies working together, mass hysteria!

• leerosenthall - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Yes, ‘Hollywood Hamels’ is for sure his deputy. And that proves Craig’s point perfectly.

5. koufaxmitzvah - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Bob Nightengale has proven to be quite the tool. Of course, he works for USA Today, the newspaper that, when printed, came in multiple colors so that “serious” newspaper reading can be done easier and more effectively. No more wondering why box scores look like the stock report.

6. cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I drove 3000 miles last week. From the world’s northern most capital city to Tampa Bay, Florida. Along the way I met a lot of people and saw places I had only considered myth (Madison Wisconsin is lovely: move there). My impression was that people were the exact same, everywhere I went. No one group was more or less gracious than another. Most people were friendly, accommodating, and liked my dog. No one tried to kill me or rape the dog either. I might as well have driven across the city I grew up in, stopping every night for 5 nights to sleep at motels.

I’m going to suspect that baseball fans, city to city, are the exact same, too.

ps: thank you America for not trying to kill me or assault my dog’s virtue. Events I was assured would occur by a few clearly drunk Canadians prior to setting out.

Note to other Canadians planning the same trip: do not watch Deliverance prior to driving through Alabama, Tennessee, & Georgia. It’ll only make you act in a foolish and undignified manner every time you stop for gas. No one plays the banjo. No one compares you to livestock.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

OK! I will not watch Deliverance before travelling to the US; however, some parts of northern New York State and the northernmost part of NH do creep me out.

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM

As I understand it, PC, the truly epic trip is from Alaska to Palm Beach. Probably take over a 10 days to do. Try that one some time.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Pass

• theskinsman - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM

Now,now,PC. Maybe you just aren’t suited to the sparsely populated rural areas. Generally speaking, you can find some nice people there.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I am sure that you can find some very nice people there. Still, the most depressing town that I have ever driven through was Dannemora. There was no way that I was going to stop there and try to find some nice people.

• theskinsman - Oct 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

The prison, with it’s quaint ambiance didn’t lure you in? I’m shocked.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I am sure you are shocked.

• Liam - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM

How does one drive from Reykjavik to Tampa?

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I do beg your exacting pardon. I was writing in a hurry and failed to lay out the argument for precisely according to the history of this argument.

Edmonton, where I drove from, is in fact the northernmost North American city with a metropolitan population over one million and is thus the continent’s most northern capital. Given that the population of Reykjavik is118,488 (2010 stats) I’m gonna say that if the citizens of Reykjavik want to duke it out to determine who’s more northerly than whom with the 1 million strong members of my home (pretty much all of whom grew up fighting on skates during the hockey), they can bring it on. Otherwise, this rather long standing argument my people have with the people of Reykjavik will remain precisely what it is: a much, MUCH smaller town (dang near a hamlet…nay, more a crossroad, a junction, a veritable huddle of cottages!) daring to lay claim to a distinction that rightfully belongs to the Land Of Beavers.

huh

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM

You didn’t say if anybody tried to rape you and kill the dog. Is that an admission by omission? What did those Illinoisans do to you?

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My dear chap, some memories are best repressed. And the people of Illinois were charming and lively, too.

If you want to poke fun of some of the Americans I met, I suggest the rather curious folk of Fargo, North Dakota. Pleasant as anything, but clearly functioning on a different scale of distance reference than the rest of your nation. Edmonton is NOT “just over the border”, I did so drive for days to get to ND, and I do NOT know their relatives in Munkton, Ontario (which clean across the vast nation from where I’d driven from).

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

well the nearest big city of Minneapolis is just over yonder, don’tcha know

• voteforno6 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Hey, watch it with those comments about Fargo. Being a former resident of said location, I don’t remember anyone ever referring to Edmonton as being “just over the border.” Now, Winnipeg on the other hand…

• NatsLady - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Winnipeg! When my neph was in college in Grand Forks, that’s where they went to party! (Family is in Fargo).

• voteforno6 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM

@bfunk1978:

Actually, Fargoans refer to Minneapolis and the surrounding environs as “the Cities.” And yes, it’s not that far away – pretty much everyone has done that drive down I-94 and back.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Right and the fact that you’re saying 250 miles is not “that far” kind of proves his point, right? ;)

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:48 AM

*Winterpeg not Winnipeg.

And the only interesting thing that happens in Winterpeg is watching the visiting Americans freeze slowly solid as they attempt to indulge in the 18 years of age drinking limit. The only other reason to go there is so that you can promptly leave and claim you got of the city alive.

• indaburg - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

“Most people were friendly, accommodating, and liked my dog.”

Did your dog like them? That’s even more important.

• stex52 - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Heya, Cur. By coincidence I just drove from Houston to Asheville, NC area week before last. In Georgia they sell bumper stickers that say “Paddle faster, I hear banjos.”

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I need one of these bumper stickers!

• skids003 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Since I’m from Georgia, cur, I’m glad you see that our state is not as a lot of our Northern cousins’ claim it is. You are welcome back any time.

7. drez146 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Manifunk, if uve ever read anything about baseball history or Stan Musial, u would know that Musial always welcomed any player in the locker room, Willie Mays even said so in many interviews talking about how Stan Musial lead by example in the All Star locker rooms of welcoming black players in

• blues1988 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM

“After the color line broke in baseball, when there was still chiding by the fans and some players and there were already black stars like Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks, the black players were often isolated socially. At one All Star Game, the latter guys were all sitting together playing cards, when Stan Musial walked over and said, ”Deal me in.” It was Stan’s way of saying “I accept you,” when many others did not.”

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Wishing I were savvy enough to imbed a YouTube clip.

Inside the Delta house:

Flounder: Hey guys, you playing cards?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Wishing I were savvy enough to imbed a YouTube clip.

All you need to do is copy/paste the entire URL and it’ll auto embed

• manifunk - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I definitely did not mean to disparage Stan as a racist, he is genuinely one of the good guys in the game’s history. I just meant to highlight the fact that playing the game like they did “in the old days” may not always be desirable.

• km9000 - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:33 PM

It’s just kind of a cliche rebuttal to say that you can’t have a preference for “old-time” baseball, however you define it, without also excluding minorities. Or free agency, plane travel, and color television. It’s not an all-or-nothing deal.

8. blues1988 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

i love it craig how you write anything and everything that is written to bash the cardinals but mattingly says this:

“I think if you look at it now we’ve kind of become America’s team because everyone wants to see a seventh game,” stated Mattingly. “Probably even the fans in St. Louis would like to see a seventh game, so I figure that everybody’s for us to win on Friday night.” and no one says shit about it. if matheny said that, every single paper in la and national media would have been lighting him up.

• wonkypenguin - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Everyone who loves baseball should want all series to go 7 games because…it’s more baseball. And I think if Matheny said he was “hoping for a game 7″ the media would be lighting him up for a totally different reason.

• blues1988 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM

it’s not the game 7 comment, its the america’s team comment. that’s the stuff that media usually eats up, apparently in this series it’s only if you play for the cardinals.

• jm91rs - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You poor Cardinals fans have it so rough. Everyone always picking on you guys.

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:09 AM

More baseball = good.

Getting all bent because someone says something a touch unkind about your rooting interest? Perhaps not the most balanced outlook on life?

Now lets see 7 games. Gonna be a long cold winter….but not for ME! I’m in Florida, bitches!

• seattlej - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I’d rather be cold and wet than in FL.

• ashot - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:29 AM

And if Mattingly had simply said we are America’s Team, I’m sure he would getting criticized. Instead, he made the point that America likes Game 7s so America is probably rooting for his team.
      Here’s a bit of advice for fans. Everytime you think you’re team is being picked on by the media, take a deep breath and tell yourself that you are wrong.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I guess Detroit has been annexed to Canada.

• ashot - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM

“I guess Detroit has been annexed to Canada.”

Good point. Now I’ve changed my mind. Mattingly clearly is taking a shot at Detroit with his quote there. It’s pretty obvious he is saying America hates Detroit and everybody in America hopes they lose game 6.

• skids003 - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Hey, if Congress can pass a bill, maybe we can get Canada to take Detroit.

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM

There was also a column in the LA Times called something like “The Dodgers are finding that the best team doesn’t always win,” asserting confidently that the Dodgers were obviously the superior/more talented/more worthy team but that cruel fate might deal them a loss anyway. But that, and Mattingly’s comment, don’t fit the current narrative (“St. Louis is arrogant and uppity!”).

I’m really ready for everyone to shut up and play the game.

9. wonkypenguin - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I’m a Midwesterner and I have declared my “hatred” for the Cardinals multiple times, both here and elsewhere. But it’s sports hatred which is like this imaginary thorn that exists for about, oh, 10 seconds. The thing I’ve noticed about them, though, is they seem easier to rile than some other teams’ fans. Probably second to Phillies fans (man, two years ago, it was unbelievable around here), but I agree – the storyline is played out and it’s all in jest. I think Puig plays the game the right way, others don’t, and the world keeps right on spinning. It’s what makes baseball awesome.

Well, that and a Kershaw/Wacha matchup. That definitely makes baseball awesome.

10. drez146 - Oct 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Craig gotta admit here bud anything u write about the cardinals is negative…what’s ur deal…btw there is a culture difference between LA and STL….LA fans stab and beat people to death in there parking lots after rivalry games on a more constant basis, yea keep defending LA

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Maybe if you’re going to chide a writer you should use decent grammar and spell all of the words.

• chill1184 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Right because there are no violent incidents (whether they be by private citizens or government thugs) in the midwest.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:48 AM

He must not be familiar with Chicago.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Or St. Louis itself.

• ashot - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:31 AM

He’s not defending LA or bashings St. Louis (well not in this article). He’s criticizing the media for perpetuating a non-existent culture war.

• blacksables - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

are you saying the whole thing was a media creation, and not the Cardinal fan base?

• ashot - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Since I didn’t say “the media created the whole thing” I was not saying “the media created the whole thing.” Seems pretty simple.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Please explain what in this article is negative about the Cardinals.

• neoshweaty - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

People are idiots, those same idiots get drunk, and they end up doing reprehensible things. The entire city of Los Angeles was pretty united in their disgust of what happened to Brian Stow and other stupid incidents like it. I imagine there are examples of similar things happening around the country when alcohol is involved.

• koufaxmitzvah - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Actually, Fuckhead, Brian Stowe was beaten, not stabbed. It was the Dodgers fan that got stabbed to death in San Francisco the last week of the season.

You are trash.

11. emdash01 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

The funniest part is how removed this article is from the actual Cardinals players – the previous ones at least included quotes from players like Wainwright. This is mostly just Musial’s grandson being a weird opportunist.

The only current-Cardinal quote is from Matheny, who said: “It’s our job to evaluate ourselves on a daily basis to make sure we’re going about it the way we want to go about it. It’s not our right and responsibility to dictate how other teams go about theirs.” So, pretty much the exact opposite of the point of the article.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Matheny has a remarkably level head, which I think is part of how this team survived the regular season and managed to maintain composure to beat a Pirates team that might actually be a smidge better than them.

• cur68 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Matheny is not a panicker. He’s a pretty calm guy with a nice steady approach to his plan. He’s a got a good bullpen and a great eye for when a starting pitcher is in trouble. Top it all, he’s got the premier catcher in all baseball handling the pitchers. Mostly, he lets Molina handle the ballgame and goes to the bullpen as needed, no drama.

12. elmo - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

If anyone wants to compare kernels of truth that lay behind unfair generalizations, I’m pretty sure you’re more likely to find smug and self-satisfied Cardinals fans than you are likely to be murdered in the parking lot by Dodgers fans.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:54 PM

And so what, being annoyed is still better than being dead. :)

13. Fantasy Football Consultant - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Nothing says old school baseball like multi million dollar contracts.

14. Fantasy Football Consultant - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

With a healthy Dodger team there wouldn’t be a game 7 or time fir this nonsense.

• yahmule - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Heard of Allen Craig?

• cohnjusack - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Or Chris Carpenter? Or Rafael Furcal? Or Jason Motte?

15. ctony1216 - Oct 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Hey, I’m just glad the Cardinals are the Cardinals and the Dodgers are the Dodgers and the Red Sox are the Red Sox and the Yankees are the Yankees, etc. Every organization does have a different culture, based on players, fans, ownership, ballpark, team history, etc. … It would be really weird if all the teams were the same.

Doesn’t mean one culture is “better” than another, just different, which is good.

By the way, culture can change too. A Yankee Stadium experience in the late 1990s was a lot different than it is in the new ballpark today. Different players, different season ticket holders, different ballpark, different culture.

16. perryt200 - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM

• jarathen - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I hate fans bein’ all… fan-like in their lists.

17. realitypolice - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I was going to say that I’ve never heard a disparaging remark made about Stan Musial. Until I clicked on this link.

• realitypolice - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I posted this completely tongue-in-cheek. I have no problem with the Cardinals actually, and certainly not with Stan the Man. I just thought it was funny.

18. rcali - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM

As a religious person I am offended by the word “Angels” being used for a team name.

• neoshweaty - Oct 18, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That’s cool

• pauleee - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM

How do you feel about New Jersey’s hockey team?

• nbjays - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Or the St. Louis Cardinals…

19. losanginsight - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM

St. lu fans have the luxury of kissing their cousins on the kiss cam. I counted at least 5 times when the Busch stadium score board had to instruct the fans to stand up and make some noise. Keep trying weaklings. Dodgers in 7 and will celebrate in front of the best fans in the world.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM

We all bow to your cleverness and originality.

• cohnjusack - Oct 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Jesus, why do you have to be an elitist asshole about it? I’ve only kissed my cousin on the Busch kiss-cam 3 times. 4 tops!

20. 18thstreet - Oct 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Is it just me, or does the bird in the logo look shifty to anyone else? Like he’s trying to hide something?

• deepstblu - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:56 PM

His secret is that his beak has a dye job. Real cardinals have red bills, but logo designers can’t resist that eye-catching little flash of yellow.

21. materialman80 - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I say let’s play the game and let the best team win.

22. crackersnap - Oct 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM

And yet, more of the players on the 2013 Cards roster were actually born and/or raised in the vile anti-baseball culture of California than in the Missouri culture which, according to Nightengale, represents the old-school purity of proper values and true baseball.

I am sure Cards fans spent exactly zero time this season worrying about the baseball bonafides of Allen Craig, Dan Descalso, Ty Wigginton, Jermaine Curtis, Joe Kelly, or Marc Rzepczynski.

• fearlessleader - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Well, considering that half those guys got traded/released/demoted and one’s hurt, MAYBE WE SHOULD HAVE.

(Also, “vile anti-baseball culture”? No one said that. Relax.)

• crackersnap - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

The article or reference sure did. It just did not use that phrase explicitly.

• crackersnap - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM

The article of reference sure did. It just did not use that phrase explicitly.

23. coachbeck - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Cardinals fans are the worst. They all think they have a PhD in how to play baseball. Been their many times for games. A bunch of blow hards.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I only have a Master’s. :(

24. zekluna - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

it is a surprise the media is playing up a culture war. that’s what sells these days. it’s fox vs msnbc. it simply mimics the perceived culture war going on in america as a whole between the old guard white america (represented by the midwestern ‘farm” town of st louis) who want to keep this country great vs the multi-cultural, me-first, ill-behaved america (represented by los angeles) who exist to bring this country to ruins.

25. Carl Hancock - Oct 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

You use the Rally Squirrel as an example? Really? That was playing off a very funny incident in the 2011 NLDS involving a squirrel running across the field. Context matters too when pointing to things to prove a point and that example definitely didn’t include context.

Three legends off to Cooperstown