Oct 19, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
The Cubs have already interviewed Manny Acta, A.J. Hinch, Dave Martinez, and Rick Renteria for their managerial vacancy, but they aren’t done with their search.
According to Patrick Mooney and Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, multiple sources have suggested that the Cubs will want to talk with Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo. Of course, Lovullo is pretty busy right now, so the Cubs might have to wait until the postseason is over.
“Right now, our focus is on what’s happening here,” Lovullo said this week at Comerica Park. “I would like to manage one day, but I’m not here to fast forward anything or make it happen before it’s time.”
Lovullo has managed nine seasons in the minors between the Indians and Red Sox, so he has been discussed as a future manager in the big leagues for a while now. He actually interviewed for Boston’s manager job before the club hired Bobby Valentine after the 2011 season. Lovullo served as the first base coach for the Blue Jays from 2011-2012 before following John Farrell to Boston. Cubs fans are advised to read his recent interview with FanGraphs to get a sense of his philosophy.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)