Michael Wacha is your NLCS MVP

Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT

NLCS - Los Angeles Dodgers v St Louis Cardinals Getty Images

Wacha will go home as the MVP of the National League Championship Series, per Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY. The 22-year-old rookie tossed 13.2 shutout innings over two starts against the Dodgers in Games 2 and 6, allowing just seven hits and two walks while striking out 13. Wacha, of course, pitched seven crucial innings in Game 6, the catalyst that sent the Cardinals to the World Series for the second time in three years.

Wacha has been nothing short of phenomenal for the Cardinals since making his Major League debut on May 30. He was their first round pick, going 19th overall in the 2012 draft. The Dodgers, coincidentally enough, picked Corey Seager one slot ahead of Wacha — though they are certainly not disappointed with their selection.

In three post-season starts, Wacha has gone at least six and two-thirds innings, has allowed no more than one run, and allowed five or fewer hits.

According to ESPN Stats & Info, Wacha is the third rookie to win the MVP award in the League Championship Series and is the first since Livan Hernandez in 1997 with the Florida Marlins.

One more:

1. cohnjusack - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:11 AM

1 earned run in his last 29.2 innings pitched.

That’s just silliness.

2. jhaegs - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Well deserved. Wacha Wacha Wacha (one for each win this postseason)

3. fearlessleader - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

This kid, you guys. THIS KID.

4. ghostofjimlindeman - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:23 AM

STUD..

• fearlessleader - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I love your handle so much. I love everything right now, but I would love it anyway.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Lol! Awesome post Fearless.
        And for what it’s worth…it’s 3 days later and I still love everything.

5. chrisernst82 - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM

If someone would have made this prediction, they would be the smartest dumb person in the world.

His 1-2 punch is crazy!

His parents must have been relators. Location, location, location.

We cant give him all the credit though even though he has earned every bit he gets. Molina gets a lot of it in my book though. If it wasn’t for Molina’s insane baseball knowledge and telling him where to put it I doubt it would have happened this way.

But the way he commands his pitches at his age is stupid good. I haven’t seen that kind of accuracy since…well…um…never! One game sure, every good pitcher can have his day, but not this long. I am only 31though and have only learned to love pitching over hitting in the last 10 years or so. Ive heard Gibby stories though!

• rossjcook - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Not to take anything away from what this kid is doing, because it is pretty phenomenal so far, but watch some footage of Maddux when you get the chance. That man was the epitome of location and control for years.

6. savior72 - Oct 19, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Somewhere Fozzie is dancing now!

7. emykk - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:30 AM

He deserves it! This kid is ridiculous!! I am so excited to see what his career holds for him. I am also glad he gave Yadi his due. These pitchers are all so lucky to have Yadi behind the plate!

8. cincinata - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM

OK:

I admit, I was wrong. I first picked the Reds early in April. Then I felt the Reds would fade when they had pitching problems, so I though the next best team was the Pirates. So the cards pulled it out, but without the help from an unexpected source. Without Wacha, the Pirates would have won in my opinion. But good luck to the cards, and now we have a new Carpenter to deal with here. How in the world do the cards do it? Maybe the Reds will come up with their own Wacha. Get ready for Boston, I think they have it in the bag in the AL.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3430)