Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 AM EDT
Wacha will go home as the MVP of the National League Championship Series, per Bob Nightengale of USA TODAY. The 22-year-old rookie tossed 13.2 shutout innings over two starts against the Dodgers in Games 2 and 6, allowing just seven hits and two walks while striking out 13. Wacha, of course, pitched seven crucial innings in Game 6, the catalyst that sent the Cardinals to the World Series for the second time in three years.
Wacha has been nothing short of phenomenal for the Cardinals since making his Major League debut on May 30. He was their first round pick, going 19th overall in the 2012 draft. The Dodgers, coincidentally enough, picked Corey Seager one slot ahead of Wacha — though they are certainly not disappointed with their selection.
In three post-season starts, Wacha has gone at least six and two-thirds innings, has allowed no more than one run, and allowed five or fewer hits.
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) October 19, 2013
STAT OF THE NIGHT: Michael Wacha is the 1st rookie with 2 scoreless starts in a single postseason series in MLB history (Elias). #BBTN
— Baseball Tonight (@BBTN) October 19, 2013
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 329
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 66
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 43
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (329)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)