Oct 19, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
With starter Clayton Kershaw set to enter his third and final year or arbitration eligibility this off-season, the Dodgers are expected to offer their ace a long-term contract extension. Kershaw is the presumptive NL Cy Young award winner. If he should earn the hardware, it would be his second such honor in three years. As the best pitcher in baseball, statistically speaking, Kershaw is expected to earn a lot of money.
ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that, earlier this season, the Dodgers talked to Kershaw about a contract that could approach or exceed $300 million:
Filed: LAD offered Clayton Kershaw contract concept in range of $300 million earlier this year. Talks were tabled; confidence about talks.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) October 19, 2013
If it were to come to fruition, it would make Kershaw the highest-paid player in baseball. The Dodgers have plenty of money to play around with, as Frank McCourt sold the Dodgers to the Magic Johnson group for over $2 billion nearly two years ago.
The Dodgers already have over $163 million committed to players for the 2014 season, and already have over $120 million on the books for each of the 2015, ’16, and ’17 seasons. Locking Kershaw up would already give them at least five players to whom they owe at least $20 million through 2017.
In his six-year career, the 25-year-old has posted a 2.60 ERA in 1,180 innings. He has led the league in ERA and WHIP three years running. Despite the unfortunate ending to the Dodgers’ season in Game 6 of the NLCS, Kershaw had been great for them in the post-season as well, posting three quality starts in as many opportunities in the 2013 NLDS and Game 2 of the NLCS.
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 152
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Rockies trade Dexter Fowler to Astros for Jordan Lyles 24
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)
- Nationals acquire Doug Fister from Tigers (68)