Oct 19, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Maria Peguero, wife of Mariners outfielder Carlos Peguero, is facing federal wire-fraud charges for making nearly $180,000 worth of online purchases on a debit card belonging to Sandra Hernandez, wife of Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez, the Seattle Times is reporting.
The article, which really should be read in whole, tells of court documents showing Maria Peguero had nearly $180,000 of merchandise from Saks Fifth Avenue delivered to her last year after gaining access to an undisclosed person’s debit card. The Seattle Times says the card belonged to Sandra Hernandez. Maria Peguero had stayed at Hernandez’s house in 2012, and the two reportedly did some online shopping.
Carlos Peguero, who has hit .195 with nine homers and 84 strikeouts in 205 at-bats in parts of three seasons with the Mariners, denied any knowledge of his wife’s alleged purchases. Maria Peguero is the daughter of the late Pedro Borbon and sister of fellow former major leaguer Pedro Borbon Jr.
Maria Peguero was also arrested in 2010 for shoplifting from a T.J. Maxx, so at least she seems to be moving up in the world. Best of all, the email address she used for her purchases and had linked to her twitter: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 4
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 15
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)