Oct 19, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Maria Peguero, wife of Mariners outfielder Carlos Peguero, is facing federal wire-fraud charges for making nearly $180,000 worth of online purchases on a debit card belonging to Sandra Hernandez, wife of Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez, the Seattle Times is reporting.
The article, which really should be read in whole, tells of court documents showing Maria Peguero had nearly $180,000 of merchandise from Saks Fifth Avenue delivered to her last year after gaining access to an undisclosed person’s debit card. The Seattle Times says the card belonged to Sandra Hernandez. Maria Peguero had stayed at Hernandez’s house in 2012, and the two reportedly did some online shopping.
Carlos Peguero, who has hit .195 with nine homers and 84 strikeouts in 205 at-bats in parts of three seasons with the Mariners, denied any knowledge of his wife’s alleged purchases. Maria Peguero is the daughter of the late Pedro Borbon and sister of fellow former major leaguer Pedro Borbon Jr.
Maria Peguero was also arrested in 2010 for shoplifting from a T.J. Maxx, so at least she seems to be moving up in the world. Best of all, the email address she used for her purchases and had linked to her twitter: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 0
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 17
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)