Shane Victorino is giving up on switch-hitting again

Oct 19, 2013, 1:58 PM EDT

Shane Victorino AP

Shane Victorino has hit exclusively from the right side for the past six weeks, so it was a bit of a surprise to see him bat left-handed against Anibal Sanchez in Game 5 of the ALCS on Thursday night. However, after going 0-for-3 against Sanchez, he flipped back to the right side against relievers Jose Veras and Al Alburquerque. And from what he told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com, he’s not planning to change things up as the postseason continues.

“I thought I’d give it a try, but it wasn’t what I expected,” Victorino said. “It just wasn’t there. I saw the ball well, but I just wasn’t comfortable with the swing and the whole approach. I felt as if I was trying to rush to get to everything. It’s hard to change, especially since I hadn’t done it for two months.”

Victorino originally abandoned hitting left-handed following a hamstring injury in early August. Prior to Thursday’s game, his last at-bat from the left side was on September 3. The 32-year-old is hitting just .229 (8-for-35) with one extra-base hit and 12 strikeouts this postseason, so the urge to try something different is understandable, but it’s a little late for experimenting. Hey, at least he continues to have a knack for getting hit by pitches.

1. mudhead123 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:21 PM

So now can he retire the little league helmet?

2. alexo0 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Can’t lean into pitches as often from the left side. Stick with what you can get away with.

3. professor30 - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

this is the perfect time to experiment with switch hitting, ya know with the games not being all that important and all.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Haha, I forgot how intense Spring Training is.

4. weaselpuppy - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Now if he would just give up on crying about every ball/strike call like a little girl….

5. Glenn - Oct 19, 2013 at 6:36 PM

All the more reason to get Nava’s left-handed bat in there instead of Gomes. The Nava-Gomes platoon worked well all year. Why change now?

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Yah, I like Gomes gusto but gusto doesn’t drive in runs.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet