Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
We heard yesterday that the Reds could look to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason. And it sounds like we can count the Braves among the teams who could be in the mix to acquire him, though there is a catch involved.
We’re talking about a hypothetical scenario here, so there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds would be interested in such a deal. Still, it’s interesting to think about.
Uggla batted just .179 with 22 homers and a .671 OPS in 136 games this season and is owed $13 million in each of the next two seasons. Meanwhile, Phillips still has four years and $50 million left on his deal.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 0
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 20
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)