Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that the Reds could look to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason. And it sounds like we can count the Braves among the teams who could be in the mix to acquire him, though there is a catch involved.
We’re talking about a hypothetical scenario here, so there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds would be interested in such a deal. Still, it’s interesting to think about.
Uggla batted just .179 with 22 homers and a .671 OPS in 136 games this season and is owed $13 million in each of the next two seasons. Meanwhile, Phillips still has four years and $50 million left on his deal.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)