Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
We heard yesterday that the Reds could look to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason. And it sounds like we can count the Braves among the teams who could be in the mix to acquire him, though there is a catch involved.
We’re talking about a hypothetical scenario here, so there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds would be interested in such a deal. Still, it’s interesting to think about.
Uggla batted just .179 with 22 homers and a .671 OPS in 136 games this season and is owed $13 million in each of the next two seasons. Meanwhile, Phillips still has four years and $50 million left on his deal.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)