Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
We heard yesterday that the Reds could look to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason. And it sounds like we can count the Braves among the teams who could be in the mix to acquire him, though there is a catch involved.
We’re talking about a hypothetical scenario here, so there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds would be interested in such a deal. Still, it’s interesting to think about.
Uggla batted just .179 with 22 homers and a .671 OPS in 136 games this season and is owed $13 million in each of the next two seasons. Meanwhile, Phillips still has four years and $50 million left on his deal.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 17
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 59
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)