The Braves would have interest in Brandon Phillips if the Reds take Dan Uggla back

Oct 19, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT

We heard yesterday that the Reds could look to trade second baseman Brandon Phillips this offseason. And it sounds like we can count the Braves among the teams who could be in the mix to acquire him, though there is a catch involved.

We’re talking about a hypothetical scenario here, so there’s nothing to suggest that the Reds would be interested in such a deal. Still, it’s interesting to think about.

Uggla batted just .179 with 22 homers and a .671 OPS in 136 games this season and is owed $13 million in each of the next two seasons. Meanwhile, Phillips still has four years and $50 million left on his deal.

1. jarathen - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Worth it, even if Phillips does what players (especially infielders) do once the start to march into their thirties.

2. whodeytn - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Wow, if my Reds do this deal then they’re even dumber than I thought.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Haha, bringing back Dusty Baker would look like a genius move compared to trading Phillips for that package of spoiled goods.

3. brownsbraves11 - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM

A TOP prospect? Absolutely not.

4. rcm54 - Oct 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I’ve been watching the Reds for 50 yrs. I’ve not been a big fan in recent years as I find the organization as ‘cheap, stupid, lacking vision’. I would seriously doubt that the Reds would take on $26 mill left on Uggla’s contract. The way I see it, the Reds want money to cover pay raises for other players. Phillips calling Mister Marge a liar and ruffling feathers in the organization provides a convenient excuse.

5. contraryguy - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:09 PM

This Reds offseason is already giving me a splitting headache, and it’s not even November yet.

6. gregalthoff - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:16 PM

You’re trading 4/$50million for 2/$26million and a prospect. You do that every day of the week.

7. thomas844 - Oct 19, 2013 at 2:27 PM

The Braves would have to fork Simmons over. No way would the Reds want Uggla.

8. paperlions - Oct 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM

In other words, the Braves would have interest in the Red making a horrible trade. Uggla is a massive defensive downgrade and likely represents about $26M in sunk costs. For the next couple of years, and possibly for the entire rest of the deal, Phillips should provide as much value as his salary.

Unless the Braves eat a lot of that contract, I don’t think Uggla is tradeable in any deal that requires the team getting Uggla to give up anything useful.

9. bobulated - Oct 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

While Uggla might get a significant park bump playing in Cincy’s band box, one would assume he would have to overcome his allergy to contact for that to come to fruition. That being said while I can see the Braves paying a big chunk of Uggla’s contract to disappear, I can’t see them tossing in a legit prospect to sweeten the pot.

10. hoff1978 - Oct 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I like how they think the Braves would “likely” have to give the Reds a top prospect. Who in their right might would just trade Brandon Phillips and his amazing defense/100 RBI’s for somene who batted .179 last year? And someone who would actually cost more over the next 4 years at his current rate of $13 million than Phillips? Keep dreaming.

11. w08groomsb - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Wow, if the Reds do this I would instantly give up until there was a new GM/ownership. Brandon Phillips for Dan Uggla? While we’re at it, why don’t we trade Joey Votto for Carlos Pena or Johnny Cueto for Barry Zito.

Whoever came up with this has one wishful imagination. I would take Brandon Phillips and his ego over Dan Uggla and his blind eyes any day. Awful, awful, awful.

I’ll come back later and tell you how I REALLY feel…

12. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The real question if the trade goes through is this. How would the Braves replace the biceps they lose when Uggla leaves?

13. elder52 - Oct 19, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Me being a Braves fan, would certainly love to see a trade like this, but lets get real, its not gonna even be a considered thought by Cincy. Makes us wish it was a free agent year for Uggla. We’re gonna have to keep looking cheaper somewhere.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3981)