Oct 19, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz didn’t have enough gas to get through the sixth inning of Game 6. After shutting the Tigers out through five, he showed diminished velocity and command, as he walked lead-off batter Torii Hunter on consecutive 88 MPH fastballs. He then surrendered a single to Miguel Cabrera through the hole between third base and shortstop, prompting manager John Farrell to exit the dugout to bring in lefty reliever Franklin Morales.
The slide continued as Morales walked the struggling Prince Fielder on four pitches, then was nearly taken deep by Victor Martinez, who drove a single high off of the Green Monster in left-center, scoring Hunter and Cabrera.
Farrell called on right-hander Brandon Workman to halt the Tigers’ newfound momentum. He did, getting Jhonny Peralta to hit a sharp grounder to second baseman Dustin Pedroia. Pedroia dashed towards Martinez caught in no-man’s land off the first base bag, tagging him for one out. He then fired home to catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, catching Fielder in a rundown. Saltalamacchia chased Fielder up the line back to third base, tagging him a foot off the bag. Peralta advanced to second base on the play, then was pinch-run for by Don Kelly.
Workman struck out Alex Avila looking to end the frame. Though the Tigers took the lead, the Red Sox have to feel good about how they played damage control. Not only could the score have been much, much worse, but Tigers manager Jim Leyland removed one of his best hitters thus far in the post-season for a pinch-runner, who ultimately failed to even attempt to score.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)