Xander Bogaerts sparks a two-out rally in the fifth as Red Sox take the lead in Game 6

Oct 19, 2013, 10:08 PM EST

Xander Bogaerts

Red Sox third baseman Xander Bogaerts doubled high off the Green Monster in left-center against Max Scherzer with two outs in the fifth inning. It seemed innocent enough, despite an impressive piece of hitting from the 20-year-old. Jacoby Ellsbury, however, quickly followed up with a well-struck line drive to right field. Torii Hunter came up throwing but Bogaerts was able to touch home to make it 1-0.

Ellsbury was thrown out by catcher Alex Avila to end the frame. It has been a pitcher’s duel thus far. Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz has held the Tigers scoreless through five innings on three hits and a walk while striking out four. Scherzer has relented just the one run on three hits and three walks while striking out six.

If the Red Sox can hold on for 12 more outs, they will punch their ticket to the World Series to face the Cardinals, who finished the job against the Dodgers on Friday night.

1. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Bogey smoked that ball too.

2. j0esixpack - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Hit just above the Boston Strong sign… a nice reminder at pivotal point in a series between two outstanding teams.

3. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I will poop myself if Franklin Morales pitches to Fielder.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:15 PM

More likely take a shot of tequila…. for the nerves.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM

And I did both.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

When they showed him warming up I turned to my dad and said Morales will walk Fielder if he gets into the game. Lo and behold.

4. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Side note, picture reminds me of “Target Lady” character played by Kristin Wiig on SNL.

5. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I will take a tiny amount of solace in Bogey ‘oleying’ Fielder.

6. jcmeyer10 - Oct 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I will say, bases loaded no outs and the Tiggers only get two? Pretty much best case scenario.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4597)
  2. M. Kemp (3669)
  3. M. Cabrera (2889)
  4. J. Kang (2627)
  5. M. Morse (2585)
  1. J. Upton (2527)
  2. A. Rios (2213)
  3. C. Headley (2173)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2157)
  5. C. McGehee (2001)