A report of classlessness from Fenway Park

Oct 20, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT

ben verlander getty

Seems like we get one of these every other series.

Ben Verlander — the younger brother of Tigers right-hander Justin Verlander — apparently encountered some childish behavior Saturday during Game 6 of the ALCS at Boston’s Fenway Park. Ben sent this from his personal Twitter account near the end of the game, a little while after Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino put the home team ahead for good with his spectacular seventh-inning four-run blast:

The meatheads at Barstool Sports say Ben should “stop being such a chick.” How sweet.

1. larjones64 - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:13 AM

From what we are seeing in the media this Seems typical of fans from either coast. Classless is right.

• alexo0 - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:19 AM

It’s true. The fans from St. Louis will show everyone how it’s done. That’s where real baseball fandom lies.

• ihatetheeffingjets - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

To alex, and every other Cardinals fan. When you tell everyone how “classy” you are every five seconds, that it, ironically, not classy.

• ihatetheeffingjets - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

*is

• therealtrenches - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Oh great…here come the Cardinals fans to teach us all the proper way to be fans, as if it’s in a handbook they wrote that MLB sanctioned.

Don’t you people ever get tired of holding your noses while claiming your shit doesn’t stink? You are so consistently high-handed-holier-than-thou. How do you not tire of the sound of your own self-praise?

• saints97 - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I think some of you need to turn your sarcasm detectors on.

• therealtrenches - Oct 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I hope alex was being sarcastic. That would be hilarious! To my ear (which may be tin, I’ll admit), he sounds *just like* a [non-sarcastic] Cardinals fan!

• aceshigh11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I’m gonna out on a limb and say alex WAS being sarcastic, even though his post is damn-near indistinguishable from a real Cards fan.

Thumbs up from me…DON’T make me regret it.

• alexo0 - Oct 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM

No worries aces, you’re good :)

• aceshigh11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Yeah, why can’t we on the coasts be more like the heartland values-spouting college football players at Ole Miss who chanted homophobic slurs at a Matthew Shepherd play?

There are scumbags everywhere. Stop with the bullshit.

• paperlions - Oct 20, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Mississippi is not anywhere near what anyone would consider the “heartland”. Of course there are idiots somewhere, but at least get your geography right.

• aceshigh11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Wrong.

The modern use of the term “Heartland” is anywhere not near “Jew York City” or “Hollyweird” to the people to whom “heartland” has any meaning beyond a political bumper sticker.

2. rodge1 - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The guys from Barstool Sports are crybaby punks. Heard them on an interview complaining like 8 year-old girls.

• ienjoysensi - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Sounds more like the guys at Barstool are getting on the nerves of these guys at hardball . Between Craig and Drew im not sure who seems more booty hurt about them . It’s pretty funny .

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 20, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The Barstool guys sound like morons, but don’t insult 8-year-old girls! I’ve seen some of them playing soccer and they are tough.

3. beachnbaseball - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Boston fans classless? I’m shocked. Absolutely shocked I tell you!!!!

• Glenn - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I have seen boorish and classless behavior in minor and major league parks in multiple cities. A few idiots do not represent the entire city or fan base. 99% of fans everywhere (especially during the post-season when ticket prices alter the make-up of the people in the seats) are decent – including Fenway.

4. tfitz11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Hahaha…..Viva la stool

• Drew Silva - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Congratulations on being a living, breathing cliché.

5. ienjoysensi - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Its a playoff baseball game in october in Boston . What do you expect being a Detroit fan in the stands ? To be babied and hear ” ohhh im sorry your big brother isn’t going to get to pitch game 7 , because there wont be a game 7 . Aww we feel so bad sorry ” get outta here with that. THIS IS OUR F-ING CITY . THERES NO CRYING IN BASEBALL

• vintage1496 - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Ah yes, because the only two ways to act as a fan are an asshole or consoling your opponents. No reasonable middle ground has ever been reached.

6. countduku - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM

After just coming home from Detroit for games 3,4, 5, i could have easily tweeted numerous times about what i’ve seen from the tiger’s fans. Sometimes people should make sure that the team they feel they represent are not applying the same classless tactics (and then some) as the team that they are going to insult via public social media. Shame on the red sox fans for celebrating and getting happy about clinching a birth into the world series. Maybe Ben should watch the game at home, or better yet have his brother break out his checkbook (overpaid for years to come) to rent a suite (which are available anyway for team member’s families) so he doesn’t have to hear what he should have seen coming before even entering the ballpark. And no, i am not a red sox fan either.

7. jimeejohnson - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Masshauls.

8. thebadguyswon - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Fenway is a green garbage can with seats. Would you expect anything less?

9. Marty - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I’m glad Drew Silva was there in the stands to verify Lil Verlander was in fact not being a little bitch going to Twitter because his feelings were hurt by a little bit of heckling while wearing the opposing team’s jersey during a deciding playoff game.

• drewsylvania - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

We don’t know what happened, it’s true.

Somebody tweeted something that may or may not be true. Film at 11.

• Marty - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I know, I just tweeted “Drew Silva stop trying to bum rape me #classless”. Reddit has already picked up on it and your reputation is finished.

10. keltictim - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Did he tell his mommy too?

11. countduku - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Ben, let me know what color dress you are wearing to next year’s opener, so my wife can wear matching colors.

12. mornelithe - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:13 AM

“Ben and Justin Verlander versus a couple of tools who sell t-shirts. That’d be a quick fight.”

So the obvious solution is that they fight? Classy Drew, way to create a great example. Why even write an article about classlessness, when you’re going to mirror that same behavior in your post?

• Drew Silva - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I’m not of the mindset that violence is never the answer. If you mess with my friends or family, it’s very much going to be the answer.

• Marty - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

…and he can pump his chest on the internet.

• mornelithe - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

You forget that many MMA fighters and Boxers come from extremely humble beginnings. Only a total idiot gets into a fight, in the middle of a sea of an opposing fan base, against someone they know nothing about, with the assumption that it’ll be a quick fight.

And yes, since nothing was physically done to the Verlander’s, it’s complete classlessness to take the situation even further below the behavior you’re already bemoaning. Grow up.

• countduku - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

was the act that caused the tweet something that may have threatened Ben’s family or friends? or was it just the usual razzing that takes place at every ballpark hosting this type of event? We kinda need more details. It should take quite an insult to cause ben to attack someone with his purse. Also, go ask a certian Dodger fan and their family about whether or not fighting is the answer. just sayin’…

• Drew Silva - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I can’t speak to the specifics in this case. And I wasn’t suggesting that the Verlanders start throwing punches in the stands at Fenway. Barstool is the epitome of internet chest-pumping.

• mornelithe - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

You can’t speak to the specifics, but you’re assuming many things from Verlander’s use of the world classless. Because we all know, everything said on Twitter, by athletes, journalists etc… is completely true and never requires looking into.

By the way Mike Florio needs a buddy to go put flowers on Bradshaw’s grave.

• Drew Silva - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

What are these “many things” I’m assuming?

• mornelithe - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Um, clearly the specifics of what Verlander meant by classlessness, and clearly the level at which a t-shirt seller can perform physically. So, that’s 2 examples.

• drewsylvania - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:20 PM

If you can’t speak to the specifics, don’t assume the Verlanders had a beef.

• Marty - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Because he’s operating on petty emotions and doesn’t even realize.

I can’t stand the Sox. But this post is ridiculous baiting. It appears there are plenty of bitter Tiger fans up this morning. Best to give them time.

• mornelithe - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Word for word copy of what I said on Detroits MLB page:

“I waited until this morning to post this here Tigers fans. I just wanted to thank you, your amazing team and fantastic organization for what will be remembered as one of the best pitched series in league history. I know it’s a heartbreaker, and I know that mere words can’t assuage the emotions you all feel, but take solace in the fact that the Tiger’s will make the necessary adjustments in the off-season, bolster that bullpen to a level commensurate with your absolutely AMAZING starting rotation, and you’ll be right back in this thing next year.

This series took years off my life, 0 after 0, inning after inning, having to claw through each and every at bat, waiting for those extremely rare moments where a hittable pitch was presented. Yes, there were some mistakes made (on both sides), but it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Hats off to an amazing team, and see you guys next year!!! We know you’ll all be game!

I only hope the Red Sox can bring the title home to the AL, where it belongs.”

13. janessa31888 - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Wow, people are jerks. These comments confirm that.

14. Glenn - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:29 AM

This post and most comments are classless. Typical bloggers.

See what I did there.

15. tigers182 - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I’m not sure what exactly happened, but you can find idiot fans anywhere. Being in the stands at a sporting event gives you a license to be an idiot.

While it’s tough to say today, the Sox played amazing against the Tigers whose starting pitchers were unbelievable this post season. Congrats and go beat St. Louis.

• nbjays - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Starting pitching ruled both LCS, pretty much. The difference in the ACLS was that Boston had a bullpen and Detroit did not. It must be frustrating for Scherzer and Verlander to go out and put up 7 or 8 great innings, only to be pulled from the game and just know your ‘pen is going to lose it for you.

16. davemvh - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:32 PM

ok,hmmm,so based on the actions of two or three fools,people judge an ENTIRE organization???I wonder if this would even be an issue had Detroit won that game.Probably not,sounds like Verlander got his lil feelings hurt.grow up little girl,its a big world out there.

17. davemvh - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Someone call the Waaaaaambulance for Benita Verlander,his puzzy got hurt.

18. railcarcowboy - Oct 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Are you paying attention Calcaterra!? You don’t hear stuff like this coming out of St. Louis

19. hildezero - Oct 20, 2013 at 1:09 PM

There’s not team in baseball that has more classless fans than the Dodgers.

• robwhite2003 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Unless you’re talking about stabbing sand beating, I think NY or Philly may have LA beat.

• 18thstreet - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

There are asshole fans everywhere. The question is what the stadium does to control the behavior of the worst of the worst.

I think Oriole Park at Camden Yards does a very good job of this.

20. david11cap - Oct 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I have been to many a red sox games at fenway and being a seattle fan have been heckled everytime I have gone there. Now when there losing you don’t hear squat and I don’t heckle them back. They aint worth wasting my breath. And to boston fans as a whole you all are a bunch of unappreciative fans towards athletes who leave for better pastures. I know what Im talking about. I live in the northeast. I have seen this as long as I have been living here. Bostan fans you are truly classless. I will never go back to that giant garbage can again. Classless indeed.

• robwhite2003 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Except no one goes to the greener pastures of Seattle huh?

21. Jack Marshall - Oct 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

What? The disappointed brother of a Detroit star makes a blanket, vague, detail-free characterization, and this is used to generalize about Boston fans, Fenway fans, or even the fans around the Detroit families? What utter bullshit. I’ve sat right behind opposing team family sections in the post season, and there was a lot of good natured ribbing BOTH WAYS.

What happened last night? Was there some gloating or mocking, or was beer poured on some wives? I doubt the latter—Fenway’s ushers move pretty fast to remove jerks who do that stuff. I don’t know Ben Verlander and I have no idea what bothered him, but his tweet was unfair, and so was this post about it. My guess is that the section was vocal when it looked like the Tigers were winning, some fans thought they were rubbing it in, and then returned in kind….perhaps excessively. Big deal. But without details and confirmation, the tweet is just worthless.

22. robwhite2003 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Well, how about clarifying how they were classless? Maybe he’s just too sensitive.

23. robwhite2003 - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I’m a Boston fan, living near St. Louis. Not denying or condoning this, but I figure our good friend booze was involved. Not saying Boston fans or any other can’t be pricks either.

24. ramblingalb - Oct 20, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Lucky for us, two classless punks like Drew and Craig are here to rat out…um, classless punks.

Ironic that they are such simpletons they don’t realize they are as bad or worse than those they complain about.

25. middy8484 - Oct 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Boston can go f themselves

• thesportsjudge - Oct 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Boston, is a city, therefore the statement should read “Boston can go f itself”.
      You’re welcome.

• 18thstreet - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

The comma after “Boston” is unnecessary. And you forgot one after therefore. And after read. And the period goes inside the quotation marks.

But at least you got “you’re welcome” correct. Congratulations: you have the grammar skills of a fifth grader, and you feel free to criticize someone writing on the 3rd-grade level.

• thesportsjudge - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Enjoy the Boston/St. Louis World Series in Detroit.

• 18thstreet - Oct 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I know you’re new here. I’m a Red Sox fan.

• thesportsjudge - Oct 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

If you really are, then we got off on the wrong foot.

• 18thstreet - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Rolls eyes.

I have more in common with sensible fans of other teams that rude fans of my own.

• thesportsjudge - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM

All I meant was I was not saying Boston should F itself. I will actually be in Boston on the 30th(not for the game IF there is one)

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3905)