Oct 20, 2013, 4:37 PM EST
John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press has the story from Boston:
So early this morning, in a corner of the cramped clubhouse after the season ended, Peralta was asked, “Have you thought about telling the Tigers you would be willing to play left field” — his newly adopted position — “in order to stay here?”
Peralta said: “There’s a chance for sure, yeah, because I like the organization here. Do I want to be here? Yeah, I want to be here.”
The problem with that is corner outfield prospect Nick Castellanos is just about ready for everyday playing time at the major league level.
And the Tigers also have Andy Dirks, who is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter.
Peralta — a client of SFX — will likely make more money if he pitches himself as a shortstop anyway. The 31-year-old batted .303/.358/.457 in 107 games this year before being hit with a 50-game PED suspension.
It’s a safe bet — unless there’s some sort of injury or trade — that Jhonny won’t be back in Detroit.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)