Prince Fielder: “It’s over, bro”

Oct 20, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT

ALCS - Detroit Tigers v Boston Red Sox - Game Six Getty Images

Prince Fielder was by no means the biggest reason the Tigers lost to the Red Sox in six games in the ALCS. But the Tigers are paying him $214 million over nine years and he had just four hits (three singles and a double) in 24 trips to the plate against Sox pitching, so he has been a magnet for criticism. He also made a costly base running gaffe in the sixth inning of Game 6, getting caught down the third base line by catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia and making a failed attempt to belly-flop back to third base.

Some players would be outwardly upset or remorseful that they are no longer playing for a championship. Fans like this because they are able to grieve vicariously through their team’s players. For Prince Fielder, though, he isn’t letting the missed opportunities get to him. Via MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez:

“You have to be a man about it,” he added. “I have kids. If I’m sitting around pouting about it, how am I going to tell them to keep their chins or keep their heads up when something doesn’t go their way? It’s over.

“It isn’t really tough, man, for me [to move on]. It’s over. I have kids I have to take care of, so, for me it’s over, bro.”

Told fans may be upset to hear him shake off a disappointing loss so quickly, Fielder said: “They don’t play.”

As much as the “they don’t play” defense rings hollow, the fans and the media shouldn’t be in the business of dictating how a player should react and feel at any time. If this is how Fielder deals with failure, all the more power to him.

1. gameover78 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

He looked like a beached whale coming up two feet short of 3rd base!

2. otissistrunk - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I hope it’s over for Fielder in the D

3. thebadguyswon - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I’m sorry, but this guy is being paid massive amounts of money and coming off a bad year by his standards and he just blows everything – the fans, the loss, and his conditioning – off like none of it is any big deal.

I have never seen a player of his caliber do so little to help a team in the postseason. What an bum this clown is.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It’s a game. It’s sports.

None of it IS a big deal.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Oh OK. I would have figured the fact he makes 25M per would make a big deal. I didn’t realize we would be getting existential. My bad.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Just because he makes a ton of money doing something that is generally pointless doesn’t make it not pointless.

Bruce Willis makes a lot of money acting in shitty movies. Does that make Die Hard 9 a “big deal”?

Seriously….if you get anything more than a fleeting feeling of happiness or disappointment from a sporting event, you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Criticize his performance based on his salary all you want because that’s something tangible (Wow, Bruce Willis really phoned it in with his performance in Red 2, can’t believe he got paid so much for such a lazy performance)….but don’t act like he is being flippant about his Cancer research or some shit.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Why do post on sports blogs then? Just curious.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Same reason I post on movie and TV blogs.

I enjoy entertainment. However I don’t believe Justified or Breaking Bad are anything more than that.

• finman1966 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Actually, I beg to differ. Why are there sports fans. We see athletes in various sports and pick and choose our favorites. When we see them do something incredible, we as human beings are lifted to a higher place because another of our species is able to do something that we cannot. We may not all agree that “adults playing kids games” and getting paid for it is good or not- it is what the market bears because there are literally billions of people all over the world who are sports fans. It gives the sports fans a sense of belonging, a sense of shared struggle by extension making victory that much more sweeter and defeat that much more painful. While TV and movies do offer entertainment, there is a dichotomy- I doubt that Bruce Willis instills a sense of belonging and a sense of shared struggle in his movies. It is what separates fantasy from reality. There is nothing wrong with that extension at all- because if you were to use that criteria, then ANY hobby, ANY endeavor that anyone undertakes, is a waste of time. I am going to preempt you on this one, there is no separation between the two, as much as you want to argue about it, you can shout it until you are blue in the face, it does not make you right.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Thank you for so eloquently proving my earlier point.

• finman1966 - Oct 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM

no, if anything I disproved your pedantic ravings- convincingly. When you decide to move out of your mother’s basement and have some actual credibility, let us know.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 21, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Well that was an epic burn, guy who just wrote a novel about how watching athletes participate in a club is necessary for his own “sense of belonging”.

4. vanmorrissey - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM

BS. He pouted all year, fans pay his salary so they deserve an effort. He was a complete failure in the playoffs and not much better the rest of the year. We all have family issues to deal with everyday. BS.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Wasn’t he pouting all year because he was getting divorced or something?

• rbj1 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Yup. When Mo walked off after game 7 in 2001 it seemed like he had put the loss behind him. As long as I’ve got my health, my job no one’s shooting at me, I’m fine. Detroit’s got a million problems, Prince Fielder isn’t one of them.

• sportsfan18 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Prince is and will be one of their problems going forward.

Even if he bounces back and has a couple of good seasons, he ISN’T going to age well and he will be making well over $20 million a season for many yrs into his mid to late 30’s.

5. Jack Marshall - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM

He didn’t make excuses, he didn’t shrug it off as no big deal, or do an Adrian Gonzalez and say “it’s God’s will!” as if he was just a pawn, like Mongo. And by “they don’t play,” he obviously means that if you’re a player and you beat yourself up over failure, which in baseball is most of the time, you’re doomed.

Good for Prince.

But he still killed his team. Zumba may be in order.

• Old Gator - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Zumba would probably kill him.

• 4d3fect - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

• Old Gator - Oct 20, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Thanks, and I intend to win that gold coin by spotting the white whale first, too.

6. jcmeyer10 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM

That’s a clown attitude bro.

7. udhens - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM

That picture is hilarious!

8. johnrosstar - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Prince isn’t just a Power Hitter but a Power Bottom it appears

• aceshigh11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

That made me laugh way harder than it should have.

9. elwaysmilehighdenver - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Here’s hoping the Prince hooks up with Jillian Michaels during the off season and gets in better shape for 2014. His “plus size” stature didn’t help his play this season . Proof..see last nights 3rd base blunder. He’s being paid huge dollars to play in the D and this fan wants to see Prince contribute to winning. Hope he spends the off season clearing his head and getting his house and life in order.

• thebadguyswon - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

He’s a fat ass. But he still got paid as said fat ass, so I’d say that odds are it won’t change. Fattest vegetarian I’ve ever seen.

• dagetawayman421 - Dec 13, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Biggest Loser – Price Fielder Edition

Watch Prince Fielder lose 70 lbs over a span of 3 months, only to hit the steakhouse the next day and put it all back on again for Opening Day!

10. Carl Hancock - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:48 PM

What’s he going to do? Go home and cry? I don’t think he should have made the statement publicly because of the fact fans are so passionate, in a lot of cases more so than some players, but what he said is true. I’m sure he didn’t like losing. I’m sure he wants to win. Every athlete wants to win. But you can’t let losing drag you down. You have to move on. His only mistake was being too honest knowing fans don’t like to hear these sorts of things.

11. packhawk04 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Theres a scene in fever pitch, where the red sox lost to the yanks, and were down 3-0 in the ALCS. Guy and his friends are depressed and drinking, and they see johnny damon and a few other sox players having supper and laughing it up. The guys friends want to go yell at them, and the guy says… wait, theyre right. Its just a game.

• Jack Marshall - Oct 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Well, it’s not just a game to them—its a career, its a living and a profession. They are obligated to care. They aren’t obligated to beg for forgiveness just for failing.

12. blarry21 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I’d still rather have Braun.

13. monkeyjuice313 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I really want to root for you Prince, but you are gonna need more fire. You probably do care…but maybe it’s time to show it.

• sandrafluke2012 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Umm. Do you think he tries harder during regular season? small sample?

• tommyg2012 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:30 PM

He just told you/ us. He doesn’t care.

14. sandrafluke2012 - Oct 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Prince Fielder, Ryan Howard. I sense a trend

15. onbucky96 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Prince was a no show for us in Milwaukee during the postseason. Nice to see the big paycheck hasn’t chance him…CHOKE!

16. kash71 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

With his booty he might win a couple twerking competitions…..

Man the visual I just gave myself.

17. happytwinsfan - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM

as a fan of a franchise whose post season performance has at times been less then stellar, i’ve slowly, slowly learned that a heart warming and memorable april through september shouldn’t be over shadowed by a disappointing october.

18. begoodharry - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Bill,

Why are you defending this guy? I’d be appalled about how flippant he is about the series loss if I was a Tigers fan.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

are you related to dirtyharry73? if so glad to see ya

• aceshigh11 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Don’t mention his name!

We’ve been free of that idiot for weeks…don’t jinx it.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM

disagree aceshigh. i luved the way dirtyharry used to swoop in like a cloud of locusts, belaboring proudlycanadian and evoking us all to the furthermost reaches of our persuasive eloquence, and proudlycanadian was never more candian then when responding with an eloquent silence.

unhygenicharold, if that is you, yes you may bomb toronto, but before so, please bomb edmington first cause their street plan is like a total mess. ever tried to drive through there?

19. countduku - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Good luck on the rest of that contract Detrot. He gets paid 23 mill per yr until 2021. lol

20. tommyg2012 - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I am so glad fat boy is not on my team. Did u see him belly flop ???? Fatassssss

21. joeylongarm - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I find you commending Fielder for his ability to deal with failure so lightly to be pretty disingenuous. After all, if fans had the same attitude you would have a site with no hits, no comments, and for that matter no revenue. Perhaps you should remember that before you preach about how fans have no right to an opinion about how athletes should feel about wins and losses.

22. fearthehoody - Oct 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Does he even lift bro?

23. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Did Tom Glavine coach him on his post-game interview skills?

24. walterwhite1976 - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Fielder makes a good point about perspective and family. However, he needs a new PR guy. One other thing, did you see the look Tori Hunter gave him in the dugout late in the game as he walked by. It looked like he wanted to clock him. Prince has not yet developed a “clutch gene.” Since he doesn’t care, I guess it don’t matter. I doubt Detroit Tiger fans feel the same.

25. lawrinson20 - Oct 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM

He has a healthy perspective. But, as a public face of a franchise, there’s nothing wrong with expressing sentiments more in alignment with those of a team leader when in public, and still keeping that healthy perspective with his family.

It would not be dishonest or disingenuous to express multiple facets or to have mixed feelings. I’m not sure how raising children conflicts with having feelings of regret or disappointment. That’s part of life.

• louhudson23 - Oct 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM

That comment addressed the issue very nicely.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win